Chapter 1: DNA

Friday, January 20th. 8:00 PM. -13°C

Tae's POV

"Mom, Dad, I've missed you both so much," I said as I hugged my parents. I was trying hard to contain my emotions.

"Close the door, Tae," Dad said, "It's very cold outside." 

"Oh Tae, It's been so long! We are so glad that you're home, even if it is just for two days" Mom said. She was even more emotional than me.

It had been a tough year for me: the band had started to get more popular, we started touring in Japan and releasing more tracks. Career-wise, it had never been this good, it was way beyond my expectations, so many things had happened. Everything was great, except that it meant that I was away from home for longer every year. I had always been a family person, so being so far away from my family all the time was the hardest part for me.

I held my parents closely. I missed their touch and their voices. I missed the scent of my dad's overpowering cologne and the smell of my mom's exquisite food. I had missed being home. 

The doorbell suddenly rang, pulling me out of my thoughts, and I looked at my Mom, confused. 

"You're expecting someone else?" I asked my parents, "I thought I was the guest of honour of the night."

"Oh, it's probably the neighbours' daughter! They told me she said she was going to pass by before going back to Seoul," Mom said as she walked towards the door.

"Misun?" I asked as I had never heard that name before. 

I knew about the new neighbours becoming good friends with my parents, but they had never told me that they had children. 

"Oh, it's true you've never met the new neighbours! Misun is lovely, son, she passes by every once in a while when she is visiting her parents. She's an excellent cook. I think she'd make a good wife for you" Dad joked.

I laughed uncomfortably and moved closer to Mom. My Dad was the sort of guy that if he liked you, he probably loved you but if he didn't like you, then he probably hated you. He had a black and white view of the world. 

My opened the door and I smiled brightly. 

"Hello, Misun! How are you?" Mom greeted the girl as if she had known her since forever.

"Oh, I'm sorry to bother I didn't know you had company. I just came by to bring some Yakgwa that I made today, I remember you telling me to bring you some if I ever make it again." She said, subtly glancing at me while giving a box to Mom. 

I couldn't stop looking at her. She was breathtakingly beautiful in a subtle way. There was something about her that drew me in instantly. I didn't know what it was, I had met beautiful women all around the world but there was something about her that was leaving me in awe.  

My Dad, who wasn't too far behind, laughed. "Thank you as always, I hope the family is doing good, I'm sure they're pretty sad they're favorite cook is leaving. Why don't you stay for dinner Misun? I don't think you met our son Taehyung. Come on in, it's very cold outside." 

He gave me a gentle pat on the back to push me forward. 

"H-Hi I'm Taehyung it is nice to meet you." I stuttered. 

She blushed at my obvious stutter. "I'm Misun. I don't want to interrupt family time, though. I remember you saying that your son can't come home very often" 

"Don't worry about it, the others aren't here today," Mom said, referring to my siblings, "Plus, you might as well stay and get warm, it is one of the coldest days that we've had in a while."