Chapter 11: Sea

Saturday, June 17th. 26°C 

Tae's POV

Jimin wasn't doing well. We could all tell. 

"What do you think is happening with Jimin?" I asked Namjoon. 

Namjoon was the only one who knew how I felt about Mi, I knew the others probably suspected that I had feelings for her, but Namjoon was the only one I had specifically told. 

"You talk with Mi, you should know," he answered. 

I knew Mi wasn't doing well either. She sounded tired all the time and she looked very distraught. 

"We don't really talk about her relationship. I don't really ask about it," I said truthfully. 

I didn't want to know how much they loved each other or how happy they were to be together. 

"Ask her then," he answered. 

"Oh come on, why can't you tell me," I said as I pouted. 

"You have your secrets that I keep. I have Jimin's secrets that I also keep. I can't really play favourites here, you know that," he simply said. 

I sighed. The last thing that I wanted to do was ask Mi about her relationship. 

But I was also very curious. 

"Alright I'll ask her," I said. 

I picked up my phone from the table in our room. It was getting very late and we had to wake up early the next day to leave to the next city. 

"Don't you ever sleep?" Namjoon asked as he let out a yawn. 

"You know I don't," I said. 

Me [11:45] You up? 

I didn't even have to wait too long for an answer. 

Mi [11:46]: We've been through this, it's not that late here. 

Me [11:46]: Want to video-chat? 

Incoming call from Mi. 

I answered her and was greeted by her lovely face. She looked very tired as well. 

"The insomnia is strong isn't it," I said. 

"I could say the same," she answered, "I think my sleeping schedule is going to be messed up for a while." 

I walked out of my room to let Namjoon sleep and made my way to the lobby. 

"So, what's up?" she asked. 

"Same as always. Busy life, we're changing cities tomorrow" I said. 

She was talking to me through her laptop and I could see her answering her phone every few minutes. She looked frustrated. 

"What's going on with you? Is everything okay?" I asked. 

"Yeah, all is okay" she said. I knew she was lying. 

"Now the truth, Mi. You can trust me," I said. 

She sighed. "I don't think Jimin and I will last for much longer". 

I wasn't expecting that. "Wha-Why do you think that?" 

She sighed again. "We never had a very sunshine and roses type of relationship. It has been a mess since day one. I think we're both trying to make something work when we both know it's going nowhere." 

I took that all in. To me, they looked like the happiest couple. "What's bothering you?" 

"I don't know if this is for me, Tae. I mean, we can never go out on dates, even on our first date we had to hide. And he's always too busy for me. I talk to you more than what I talk to him. We also run out of subjects to talk about all the time. I just don't think this is going anywhere" 

I had always thought that they weren't a good fit. Jimin was very energetic and passionate when it came to singing and dancing. It had always been his first priority. Their backgrounds were completely different and they enjoyed spending their times in different ways, I knew that. 

However, I knew that she made Jimin happy. His eyes lit up every time her name was mentioned and he loved to talk about his girlfriend. Jimin was head over heels for her.

"We are busy people. This is our life. I think what matters the most is how you both feel about each other. If there is love, then it's worth fighting for," I said. It pained me so much to advice her to be with another guy. 

"I think sometimes love isn't enough to bring two people together," she said as she looked straight at me, her eyes filled with sadness. 

I sighed. I was still a firm believer in love and I wanted to believe that love trumps everything. 

"I think you both didn't spend enough time together as a couple before you committed to a long distance relationship. You both need more time together to really know if things are going to work out. I think things will be different once you're both face to face and see each other on the daily" I said. 

"But Tae, that's months away. Your tour doesn't end until winter. And even then, you're probably going to be away doing promotions," she said, "I don't know if I can take this for that long." 

"Why did you date him in the first place?" I asked. 

She looked taken aback by the question. "He's very funny and charming. We connected through our love of dance and art. He's also very handsome. I've admired his hard work since we first met. He made me feel so special and beautiful," she said. 

My heart was hurting. 

"There you have it. If that hasn't changed for you, then there you have your reason to fight for your relationship," I said. 

"You're right, Tae," she smiled, "thanks for always being so supportive, Tae." 

I tried to fake a smile, "that's what friends are for." 

Friends. Because that's what we were.