Chapter 35- Enemies All Around

"Davina!!" Sweet Pea called through the screaming crowd

Davina stood there frozen staring at Midge who was lifeless against the wall. Many people ran to the stage to get a better look at the fallen Vixen. Davina slowly backed away from the stage, she knew that the Black Hood came after sinners and she was one of the biggest sinners of all, or at least that's what she believed.

As the crowd grew thicker and the panic louder Davina tried to push her way through the crowd. She began to panic when she couldn't find and exit, that was until she shoved through a few people and smacked hard into a chest.

Hands clasped firmly around her tiny shoulders and held onto her for dear life. Sweet Pea felt instant relief knowing she was safe in his arms.

"Where's Cherry?" Davina asked quickly and Sweet Pea's eyes widened

"She went with Brick to get a drink," Sweet Pea said as he turned to look at the door.

Davina pushed away from him when she saw the tiny girl and their friend Brick standing near the door. Davina immediately scooped her up into her arms and held onto her. Brick stood there looking rather confused by the chaos, but otherwise unaffected.

"Let's get you home," Davina said before kissing the side of Cherry's cheek.

You'd think Cherry was a baby with the way Davina handled her but she was 6. Cherry always lit up around Davina and hated when they had to part ways.

Davina set Cherry down and they all began walking towards the car. Once they were all settled in Sweet Pea began driving to Jeremy's. Davina would look back occasionally to check on Cherry who had fallen asleep.

"I'll be right back," Sweet Pea said as they pulled into the driveway.

He opened the car door and lifted the sleeping child out of the car and carried her inside. When he got in the house Jeremy was watching Tv and drinking a beer. Sweet Pea placed Cherry in her bed and kissed her forehead. He watched her for a second before leaving the room and closing the door behind him.

As he got back to the living room he heard Jeremy speak to him "bout time you bring my child home."

"Don't act like you're worried about her well being. The only thing you care about is the beer in the fridge." Sweet Pea snapped

"Boy, you're testing the wrongs mans patience." Jeremy growled, he was obviously drunk.

Sweet Pea just rolled his eyes before carrying on to the door.

"You're not gonna walk away," Jeremy said as he threw his beer bottle at the wall near Pea's head.

Sweet Pea froze and turned to face Jeremy. He remained calm, which was very hard for him to do, but he did for fear of waking his sister.

"You need to calm down," Sweet Pea said to Jeremy who just scoffed

"Don't tell me what to do," Jeremy said as he slammed Pea into the wall.

Sweet Pea tried to remain calm as he regained his stance and walked towards Jeremy. Only stopping once he saw Cherry standing in the background.

"It's okay Cher," Sweet Pea reassured and she cried

"Davy," Cherry said softly and Sweet Pea turned to see Davina standing in the door way.

"Go to bed Cherry," Jeremy snapped and Cherry remained still.

"I said go to fucking bed," Jeremy snapped again as he threw the nearest object at the small girl.

Within seconds Davina was in front of Jeremy. She pushed him against the wall and Sweet Pea ran to Cherry and put her in the other room before returning to Davina.

When he got back to the living room she had Jeremy on the ground and she had hit him a few times. At this point she was just sitting on top of him holding him down.

"Men like you are parasites, you don't deserve a family. You think you can bully her and beat her, well you're wrong. She's coming with us tonight and you will never see her again." Davina said standing up from him.

Seconds later Sheriff Keller knocked on the door, which was already open, and handed Jeremy the form from the judge that granted Davina and Sweet Pea emergency custody of Cherry.

"I called the minute he walked through the front door," Davina said eyeing him "I know what it's like the walk through the door of an abusive household."

Davina walked past them and went into Cherry's room. She was sitting on her bed holding a teddy bear.

"Hey Cherry Vanilla," Davina smiled "I hope I didn't scare you."

Davina sat on the bed beside Cherry and just looked at her.

"You didn't," Cherry said shakily "Can I go with you, please?"

"Of course, Cherry Pie. I'm not leaving you here ever again."

Cherry and Davina exchanged a long hug before Davina stood up and began packing Cherry's things. Sweet Pea came in moments later and grabbed the bags and Davina carried the sleepy child.

Jeremy watched as they walked out of the house. He looked like he cared, but after all the best liars know how to put on a true act.

When they got back to the Jones household they carried everything and Cherry inside. FP looked at them rather confused. Davina set Cherry down on the middle of her bed and then walked out into the living room.

"What happened?" FP asked

"I took custody of Cherry right under Jeremy's nose," Davina said as she got a glass of water for Cherry to drink.

"How?" Travis asked

"Called Keller when Pea was taking Cherry inside. Keller got an emergency custody order from Judge Carter."

"How?" FP asked

"I told him Jeremy was drunk and was going to harm Sweet Pea and Cherry."

"How did you know?" Jughead asked

"You always know," Travis and Davina said at the same time

"When you come from that background you can always tell when something's going to happen," Travis specified and Davina nodded

"I just knew," Davina said sadly "I know him, I know his habits, I know abusive fathers."

Davina walked back to her room to hear the shower going, she knew that meant Sweet Pea was trying to calm down. He always took a cold shower when he was upset. She set the glass down and changed, before curling up under the covers.

When Sweet Pea got back into the room he saw Davina passed out on the bed with Cherry curled up into her arms. For a moment he was filled with pure happiness, but it was momentarily taken over by the sadness of picturing her holding their baby. He curled up beside them and slowly drifted into a deep sleep.