"Get Away From Her."

~ Your POV ~

Yawning and stretching your arms, you lean back in your office chair and smile at your computer screen, viewing the presentation you just completed and smiling to yourself. Presenting this to everyone in the meeting next week wont be fun, but at least the quality of your work should get you through. Saving your work, your eyes dart up to the top of your screen as a new email appears in your inbox. You click into your email tab and your eyes widen in alarm as you see the email is from your boss. Anxiously clicking into it, your eyes scan the first few words in his email, and you quickly breathe a sigh of relief. It's just an email confirming that you'll be meeting your new secretary intern today, and when you check the time, you realise you'll actually be meeting him in a few minutes. Since you'll be busy showing the intern around for the rest of your work day, until he gets here you might as well check over your presentation again, just to make sure there arent any embarrassing typos. The only solution to the humiliation of those typos is Ethan cracking jokes with you about them for days on end, until you cant help but laugh at the humour in them, rather than feeling beyond embarrassed. You smile at the thought of Ethan's jokes, and find yourself giddy to get home and spend time with him.

"Ahh, there you are Miss (Y/L/N)! I'd like to introduce you to your intern!" Your boss speaks as clearly and professionally as ever.
Preparing a polite grin as your eyes are still on your screen, you turn to your left and greet your boss with said smile, but as your eyes travel to the side of him, all colour drains from your face and you are filled with dread. No way. No fucking way.
"(Y/N)? Are you alright? You look awfully pale all of a sudden." Your boss inquires with a concerned tone.
You abruptly stand from your seat "I-If you'll excuse me a moment, I need to use the restroom."
Your boss laughs "Of course, nature calls!"
Nodding briefly at him and doing all you can to avoid looking at the monster stood beside him, you speed walk past them and head for the women's restrooms. As soon as you're inside you lean against the wall, tears already cascading down your cheeks as you pull your phone out of your blazer pocket and select the only number you've ever had on speed dial. On the second ring, he picks up.
"Hey baby! I was just going to text you actually, 'cause I just saw this real stupid meme that I know you-" Your boyfriend's voice pauses as he hears your shaky breathing "(Y/N)? Baby?"
You close your eyes in a pained blink, your chest feeling tight "E-Ethan!"
He gasps into the phone, now fully alert and very worried "Hey, it's alright, take some deep breaths, and try to tell me what's going on."
You nod your head and focus on Ethan's words, using them to help you control your breathing "H-He...H-He's here."
For a brief moment, there is silence on the other end of the call, and you can practically hear Ethan realising exactly who you're talking about.
"Where are you right now?" His words are rushed, and you can hear him hurrying around your shared apartment, grabbing his keys.
"I-In the restroom. Im so scared Ethan." You tell him, your heart pounding in your chest.
"I know, dont worry, I'll be there soon. Why is He there?" You notice Ethan spit the word 'He' with a distinct disgust.
You cringe at the thought "H-He's m-my new secretary intern."
The sound of Ethan's hair brushing against his phone tells you that he's shaking his head "We can fix this, I promise. Im getting into my car now, I'll be there soon. I love you."
You breathe a sigh of relief, knowing Ethan is on his way, and you smile slightly "I love you too."
The call ends, and you put your phone away, focussing fully on your breathing and the positive thought that Ethan will be with you soon.

After just a few minutes, there's a quiet knock on the restroom door.
"(Y/N), it's Ethan."
In an instant, you pull open the door, and you're met with Ethan's hazel eyes, filled with such an intense concern that his gaze alone could bring you to tears.
Upon seeing your tear stained face, Ethan gives you his sad puppy expression.
"Oh baby!" He coos, pulling you into his chest.
You cling to his sweater and cry, your head resting on his chest in the exact right place where you can hear his heartbeat.
Ethan runs his fingers through your hair, and rubs circles into your back with his other hand.
"Shhh babydoll, it's alright, Im here. I wont let him hurt you, he wont get anywhere near you, I swear. We're going to fix this." He whispers comforts in you ear to reassure you.
Ethan's words, as usual, get through to you, and you find yourself calming down in his arms.
A small smile makes its way onto your face "How're you gonna stop yourself from destroying him on sight?"
Ethan laughs slightly, his arms tightening around you "It'll be a challenge, but I can control myself. If he tries to touch you in any way though, I cant promise I'll stay that way."
You nod into his chest "Thank you."
Ethan chuckles and kisses the top of your head "I havent done anything yet baby!"
You giggle "I know, but thank you for making me feel safe."
Ethan carefully rocks you in his arms "Im glad I can do that, I'll always keep you safe."

For a few more minutes, you stay safe in Ethan's embrace as he continues to comfort you, until you feel calm enough to move away from him slightly and smile up at him.
"You sure you're ok to do this? I can go by myself, if you'd feel safer staying here." Ethan offers.
You shake your head frantically "No, the safest place for me is with you."
Ethan grins at your words, and takes your hand in his "Let's do this!"
You cant help but smile at his excitement, and when you nod at him, he starts leading you back to your office. Despite Ethan calming you down, your nerves quickly kick in and intensify as you get closer to your office.
Your boss smiles in surprise "Miss (Y/L/N), and Mr Nestor, what a surprise to see you here! Is there any particular reason for your visit, or are you just here to surprise her with flowers again?"
You blush slightly and smile at the floor, remembering all the times Ethan has showed up to your workplace and had flowers or chocolates delivered to your office to surprise you.
Ethan shakes his head, his eyes glued to the monster stood next to your boss "No, Sir, Im sorry to say that's not why Im here today. I have a problem with my girlfriend's secretary intern."
Your boss raises an eyebrow "May I ask why?"
Ethan looks down to you and gives you a soft smile, then turns back to your boss "Im afraid (Y/N) and this man have a history that makes it impossible for her to work with him, would it be possible for him to be transferred to another office, or perhaps just a different department, away from her?"
The monster clears his throat with a laugh that sounds like nails on a chalkboard "I take it you're my replacement then, huh?"
You feel Ethan's hand tighten around yours "The position you had in her life caused her nothing but pain, anxiety, and fear, and that is not a position I ever want to fill, so no, Im not your replacement. Unlike you, Im someone who cares for her wellbeing, and that means keeping her away from your toxic presence."
The monster raises an eyebrow at you "Got yourself a puppet 'cause you cant talk for yourself eh? Real mature. Listen, I dont want to cause any trouble, Im here to work, and that's it. I was hoping (Y/N) and I could look past our differences and be professional about this. Why cant we just let bygones be bygones?"  He asks as he takes a step towards you.
Ethan is quick to pull you behind him, so that he stands directly in front of the monster.
"Get away from her." He almost growls, sounding more protective than you've ever heard him before.
The monster takes a step back and holds his hands up by his head, almost in a surrender "Woah, easy tiger!" Suddenly, his hands drop, and he smirks "Y'know what? Actually, you can go fuck yourself." He pounces at Ethan, who immediately turns to wrap his arms around you to protect you, rather than defend himself.
Your boss jumps on top of the monster and holds him down, then calls security to escort the man out and never let him back in again. You sob into Ethan's chest, and you hear something of a calm conversation between himself and your boss, who tells Ethan you're free to go home, and if you need tomorrow off work, he understands. With that, Ethan walks you out of the office building, and into his car.

Your eyes explore the streets as Ethan drives you home, one hand on your thigh, his thumb gently caressing your skin to reassure you, while his other hand is holding the steering wheel.
"Ethan, why didnt you go to defend yourself when he tried to punch you?" You ask him curiously, turning your head to look at him.
Ethan smiles, and his gaze flickers between you and the road in front of him as he explains himself "My natural instincts kicked in, and I knew as soon as he went for me that I could take a hit if it meant you'd be safe."
You place your hand over his hand on your thigh, and gently squeeze "Well, just so you know, if he had punched you, I would've killed him with my stapler."
Ethan laughs, then winks at you "Trust me, I know, I could tell you werent shaking with fear after that, you were PISSED."
You scoff "Damn fucking right! As if some creep is 'boutta get all up on my mans and Im just gonna sit there, no sir, he wouldnt have made it two paces further, I tell you that!"
Ethan grins "Your protectiveness over me is absolutely adorable."
You smile and lean against his shoulder "And yours over me is smokin' hot."
He raises an eyebrow "Really?"
You nod and snuggle into him "Awh HELL yeah."