Mute #2

~ Ethan's POV ~

As soon as (Y/N) stood up and ran out of the room, I stood up to follow her, but Amy stopped me and told me she'd go to her. I sat back down on the couch, wondering whether I'd done something to upset her. Was I too forward? Was my comforting a step too far? Did I make her feel uncomfortable?

Mark sits down beside me and pats my back "It wasnt you, she just has her moments sometimes. Amy has made me aware of that many times before, because often Im in the same position wondering if I upset her, but it isnt that at all. She'll be ok."
Im about to reply, when Amy shouts "MARK!" from the hall, and he dashes out of the room.
Seconds later, Amy re-enters the room and sits down next to me, where Mark was sat.
"What happened?" Amy asks me.
I run a hand through my hair and shake my head "I dont know! She was breathing really face and seemed really nervous, so I comforted her, then she looked at me for a few seconds and just started crying! Did I do something wrong? Should I go and apologise?"
Amy smiles and releases a sigh that sounds...relieved? "That makes sense!"
I raise an eyebrow "What does?"
Amy's smile turns sympathetic "(Y/N)...she's in a real rough place right now, she struggles to feel any sort of emotion, and as you know, she doesnt talk. I wont go into details, but the reason for that is a previous abusive relationship she was in, it destroyed her. I wouldnt normally bring this up, but in order for you to understand, I had to. Today, she spoke to me for the first time in years, and it was when she was looking at you."
My eyes widen "What did she say!?!"
Amy grins "She just said one word: Happy. I asked her if you made her feel happy, and she nodded. She's so confused and conflicted by the way she feels around you, because for so long she's felt nothing at all, and that scares her. You, someone she clearly has feelings for whether she'll admit that or not, making her feel like you care about her, comforting her, it shocked her, and she started to cry because she was so overcome by emotions she isnt used to feeling!"
My heart aches with sympathy, she started crying because I made her feel happy, and she hasnt felt that in so long that her body didnt know how else to respond to it "If I make her happy like you said, why did she leave?"
Amy is thoughtful for a moment, before she speaks up again "Embarrassment, most probably. She got caught up in unfamiliar emotions and then realised she randomly started crying while staring at you, she probably thought she looked super weird and that humiliated her, so she walked out."
I nod slowly in understanding "Should I talk to her?"
Amy nods "Definitely, if you dont make her realise that everything is cool and she didnt humiliate herself in front of you and that you have a huge crush on her too, she'll lock herself in her house for another four years."
My eyes widen "Hold on, who said anything about me having a crush on her!?!"
Amy rolls her eyes "C'mon Ethan, I see the way you look at her, dont bullshit me."
I scoff playfully and stand up "Yeah, well, you're a poopy mcpoop face!"
Amy laughs and nods "That's me! The greatest poopy mcpoop face!"
I pout sadly "What does that make me?"
Amy smirks "The worst poopy mcpoop face, Zesty Nesty."
My jaw drops "How dare you!"
Mark laughs from the living room doorway "You guys are both dumb poopers!"
I point at Mark "Everyone in this room poops, mister sir, dont act like you dont!"
Mark scrunches up his face "Ehhhhhh fUUUUUUCK you."
I wink at him "You wish you could!" I blow him a kiss.
My eyes drift to the side of Mark, and I see (Y/N) partially hiding behind Mark, with a small smile on her face, which I think is caused by the shit Mark and I are saying.
"Whatever dickbutt, are we gonna get Mario Kart started or nooootttt?" Mark complains.
I smile "You and Amy can start without me, I'd like to talk to (Y/N) alone for a minute, if that's alright?"
(Y/N)'s eyes widen, but she nods, making my smile widen. Amy pulls Mark down to sit next to her and gives me a supportive thumbs up as I walk out of the room, (Y/N) following close behind. We end up in the kitchen, and (Y/N) hops up onto the counter, holding her hands in her lap and staring down at them anxiously. I lean against the counter opposite her.
"Amy explained what happened...Listen, (Y/N), I want you to know that you didnt make me feel awkward or uncomfortable, not at all. I actually really enjoyed the eye contact we were having, which sounds like a weird thing to say, but it's the truth." I laugh nervously before continuing "When you started crying, I wasnt scared, I was worried because I thought I'd done something wrong. I wanted to make sure you were ok, and apologise if it was my fault that you werent, but then Amy explained it all to me."
(Y/N) lifts her gaze from her legs and raises an eyebrow at me, questioning what Amy said.
Just her looking at me brings a smile to my face "She said that you spoke for the first time in years, and you told her that I made you happy."
(Y/N) looks down again to hide her face with her hair, and I cant help but grin at how adorable she is. I take a step closer to her.
"Can I hold your hand?" I ask her quietly.
Still looking down at her legs, (Y/N) nods, and I carefully take her hand in mine.
I give her hand a reassuring squeeze "Whatever happened to you to make you hide inside yourself like this, it wont ever happen again, I promise you. Whether you believe that or not right now, I know that it's the truth, because I wont let anyone hurt you. Im honoured to make you feel anything at all, especially such a positive emotion, and I swear, anytime you need me, I will always be here for you. It'll take time, but you will get better, things always get better. There's no reason that tomorrow couldnt be the start of something amazing, or maybe even today! I will be here to remind you of all the positive things around you, even when you cant see them. If you let me, I'll do anything I can to help you."
(Y/N) looks up at me with tear filled eyes, and nods. Glancing away from me, she fishes her phone out of her back pocket, unlocks it, and passed it to me.
I laugh slightly "I was about to ask for your number, you read my mind!"
She smiles slightly at me and watches me as I type my number into her phone, then hand it back to her.
"Im gonna go back in there with Mark and Amy, come back in whenever you're ready, ok? Take as long as you need." I squeeze her hand one last time, before letting it go "Call me anytime you need me." I tell her in a low voice, and make my way back towards the living room.
Just as I reach the kitchen door, my phone rings. Frowning in confusion, I pull my phone out of my pocket and look at the number, it isnt one I recognise.
I answer the call and hold it to my ear "Hello?"
A broken whisper responds from behind me "E-Ethan."
With wide eyes, I slowly turn around, to see (Y/N) holding her phone to her ear.
I watch in awe as her lips part, and she speaks again, tears now rolling down her cheeks "I-I n-need you."
Without any further hesitation, I hang up my phone, shove it back in my pocket, and bound over to her, pulling her into my arms and holding her protectively. Her voice is the most beautiful thing I've ever heard, and after hearing it just once, I know for a fact I cant live in a world without it. I cant ever let the person that broke her like this hurt her again.

And I wont.