Lucky Penny

Requested by: MrsJenniferHoran
I really hope you like it! :D

~ Ethan's POV ~

I rush around my apartment at lightening speed, desperately tidying up every inch of mess that I can find. A loud timer sounds from within the kitchen, and my eyes widen as I speed in there and take the pasta off the boil, preparing to serve it, when my phone dings in my back pocket. Freaking out mildly as I have no free hands, I quickly place the saucepan down and retrieve my phone.

Babydoll ❤️: Only a few minutes away now, see you soon ☺️

My palms begin to sweat as I hurry to type out and send my response.

Me: Cant wait!

With that, I shove my phone into my back pocket, and start serving up the pasta that I put my heart and soul into.
"Dad, I dont know what to wear, you're gonna have to rearrange this whole thing."
A smile spreads across my face as I turn and see Penny standing in the doorway, multiple outfits hanging from her arms including her Buzz Lightyear costume, bright blue dinosaur onesie, and Princess Leia costume.
I stroll over to her and crouch down to her level "How will we ever choose from this wonderful selection of outfits?"
She sighs and shakes her head "I just dont know..." Her eyebrows furrow, and suddenly the back of her hand is pressed against my forehead, then she cringes and pulls her hand away "Dad, your forehead is sweating again, you need to chill."
I cant help but laugh, hearing a five year old tell me to 'chill' is hilarious.
Penny places her hands on my shoulders and stares me straight in the eyes "Ok, here's the deal: I'll keep the shenanigans of the bears upstairs safe in my toy box, and I will find an outfit, so that you dont need to worry about either of those very important issues."
I smile at her and wipe my forehead dramatically "Whew, that takes a huge weight of my shoulders, thanks lucky lady!"
She nods once, deadly seriously, then lets go of me and bolts down the hall in a blur of her bright coloured costumes. As I stand back up, I laugh and shake my head at her, she's way too much like me.

The doorbell rings as I finish placing the plates of pasta on the table, and I wipe my clammy hands on my jeans before I head for the front door. Taking a few deep breaths, I reach forward and unlock the door, then pull it open, to reveal my girlfriend smiling up at me. Given the dramatic height difference, due to her only being 4'10, she has to smile up at me, which is absolutely adorable. Her black hair frames her face perfectly, and as usual I find myself falling into her green eyes, which are carefully framed by her glasses. As I look at her, I cant help but remember the way she looked on the day we met: her nose buried in a Harry Potter book as she sat, curled up on her chair in the coffee shop down the street. The second I saw her, I couldnt get her out of my head, and she's been there ever since. I made it very clear from the start that I have a child of my own already, who doesnt have a mother figure in her life, and though I feared that would put (Y/N) off of me, she smiled and said she thought it was incredible that I'd raised my daughter by myself. My fears have stayed though, and that's what prevented me from introducing Penny to (Y/N) for the past six months we've been dating, not just because Im scared to lose (Y/N), but because Im scared Penmy will get attached to (Y/N) and then if we break up, it will really hurt my little girl.
"Earth to Ethan?" (Y/N) laughs as she waves a hand in front of my face, snapping me out of my thoughts.
I shake my head and chuckle nervously "Sorry, I totally zoned out just then. Please, come in." I step aside, allowing her to walk into my apartment.
(Y/N) glances around my apartment and smiles at what she sees "Nice place you've got here!"
I scratch the back of my neck and shut the door "Thanks, I had a major clean-up before you got here."
My girlfriend laughs and nods "Makes sense, I was wondering where all the kids toys were, the ones you mention tripping over at least once a day!" She stops and turns to me "Speaking of kids, can I meet her?"
I take another deep breath and nod slowly, walking past her a few paces before calling out "WE SEEK AUDIENCE WITH THE LADY OF LUCK!"
I hear a giggle, which is quickly muffled when my daughter covers her mouth with her hand from behind her bedroom door, then clears her throat, and exits the room. Her natural brown hair is hidden under a long, curly ginger wig, and I cant help but smile at her choice of clothing, in the words of my daughter: if in doubt, Merida is the best way out!
I dont take my eyes off her as I introduce her "(Y/N), this is Penny, and Penny, this is (Y/N)."
For a moment, there is silence, and then (Y/N) slowly walks towards Penny. She kneels in front of her and holds her hand out to her, smiling widely.
"Hey Penny, it's nice to finally meet you, I've heard so much about you!" My girlfriend's voice is quiet, and I can tell that she's nervous.
Penny carefully shakes (Y/N)'s hand "It's nice to meet you too (Y/N), but who has been telling you about me?"
(Y/N) laughs and winks at her "Now, that would be telling."
Penny scowls at the floor and whispers "The bears..."
I facepalm, and my girlfriend just raises an eyebrow.
Penny looks up at me "You'll have to excuse me a moment, it would appear I've been betrayed, and capital punishment is in order." Then, before either (Y/N) or I can say anything, Penny scampers off to her room.
Still in her position kneeling on the floor, my girlfriend looks over her shoulder at me "The bears?"
I shake my head and laugh "Bears have been her favourite animal since the first time she ever saw one on tv, all of her stuffed animals are bears by request."
(Y/N) nods and smiles slowly "The Merida costume, that makes sense now!"
I chuckle as I walk over to her and grab her hands, pulling her up into a standing position.
"So, dinner? I promise it isnt bear."
From down the hall, Penny calls out "IT VERY WELL COULD BE BY THE TIME IM FINISHED WITH THE TRAITOR!" Causing (Y/N) and I to burst out laughing as we stroll into the kitchen hand-in-hand.

(Y/N) wipes her mouth with a napkin as she swallows her last mouthful of pasta "So Penny has never had a mother figure?"
I shake my head "No, Jennifer died giving birth to her, she never met her, and I havent met a girl since who has stayed in my life after I told them I had a kid." I laugh slightly "Not that I've minded though, it's weeded out all the women who werent right for me. I never would've thought that having a kid at 16 would actually help me in finding love later on in life."
(Y/N) smiles at me sweetly and holds my hand across the table "I promise you, right here right now, that whatever happens between us, if Penny still wants me in her life, I will stay. She deserves a mother figure in her life."
Tears prick my eyes as I stand up, pulling (Y/N) with me, and brush strands of her hair out of her face.
"I love you." I whisper, my voice hoarse.
"I love you too." (Y/N) replies, grinning up at me.
My favourite girl clears her throat from the doorway, causing (Y/N) and I to jump apart.
Penny looks up at (Y/N) expectantly "Have you ever seen Brother Bear?"

My eyes widen, this is a life or death question from Penny.
(Y/N) beams at Penny "Of course I have! I love the Northern Lights, so Brother Bear is one of my favourite Disney movies ever!"
Penny nods, and I can see her considering this in her head for a moment, before she looks back up at me "I have consulted with the committee upstairs, and, although the traitor who revealed my identity is still at large, we have decided we like (Y/N)."
Im practically glowing Im smiling so much. Unable to stop myself, I run over to Penny and pull her into my chest, lifting her up and spinning her around in my arms.
"Thank you so much, lucky lady." I tell her as I kiss her cheeks, still holding her close.
(Y/N) pipes up "Why do you call her 'lucky lady'?"
I smile at the two of them "The day we met, the only reason I went into the coffee shop that day, at that exact moment, was because I wanted to surprise Penny with some of her favourite cookies for her 5th birthday. If it hadnt been for Penny, we never would have met, and for that reason: she is my lucky Penny."
(Y/N) sniffles and walks over to us, I wrap an arm around her and pull her into the hug. We stand in the kitchen hugging for a few more moments, before my five year old daughter pulls away from me. I place her back down on the ground, and she smiles up at (Y/N) and I sweetly.
"Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go and dismember the most likely traitor in my room."
My jaw drops in fear of the stuffed bear insides creating a mess on her bedroom floor "Penny, it was me! I told her about you!"
Penny's eyes widen very slowly, and she closes her eyes in an almost pained blink, before she stares up at me.

"You, are on the naughty step for the rest of eternity."