Chapter Thirty: Pack Your Bags

Start from the beginning

As if on cue, the four of us began to hit our hands against the table repeatedly. We had been going on for a little while and we all started to wonder if Ronald would ever speak up again. "Is this necessary too?" Grell asked, raising her voice slightly over the noise we were making.

"Everything I am doing is necessary, Miss Sutcliff. I would appreciate it if you stopped questioning me about it," he said, pointing at Grell and making her giggle slightly, "I'm thinking that we should go to an amusement park!"

We all fell silent, exchanging awkward glances with each other. An amusement park? That was his big idea? Curious, I decided to pipe up. "Um, Ron?"

"Yes, Will?" He asked in response, smiling at me like a dork. He must've thought he was the biggest genuis ever for suggesting the amusement park trip. Neither Grell, Ronnie, nor I had been to one since the first year of junior high! Going now just seemed childish.

"Why?" I asked, bursting out in laughter, "Just why, dude?"

"It's necessary," he stated with a shrug. He turned to Eric, pointing at him. "Eric! You got a new SUV, right?" Eric simply nodded in response. "Can we borrow it? Please? Please please please please?" he asked, but Eric gave no response this time. Deciding to take action, Ronald stood from his seat and moved to sit down on the other side of Eric. He leaned into our burly blonde friend, giving him the classic puppy-dog pleading eyes.

Eric sighed, crossing his arms and pouting slightly. "Fine, just don't totally trash it."

"Yes!" Ronald exclaimed, both of his clenched fists flying straight up into the air. He moved onto yet another follow-up question. "Can you come pick us all up around eight?"

"What?!" Alan exlcaimed, his eyes going wide as he gaped at Ronald. "No way! We can't leave tonight, we've still got school tomorrow! I've got a test in ma-"

"Shush, Alan, honey," Ronald commanded, leaning over the table and putting a finger to Alan's lips to silence him. Ronald smirked, trying to keep from bursting out into a fit of laughter. "You're sick tomorrow," he let out a pleased sigh as he straightened himself out, standing up and admiring us. "Pack your bags guys, we leave tonight!"

-

I was still a bit shocked by Ronald's spur-of-the-moment trip idea when I arrived back home. I shrugged it off as I unlocked the door with my key, pushing my way inside. I mumbed under my breath to myself, trying to convince myself that he was right and that we did need some fun. As soon as I took a step inside, I was bombarded by a delicious scent drifting through the air. I exhaled and smiled, a smell that mouth watering could only mean that my mom was cooking. If mom's cooking, she's undoubtedly in a good mood. It was the perfect time to ask her!

I snuck around the corner, leaning over ever-so-slightly so that I could peek into the kitchen. My mom stood next to the stove, chopping up ingredients that I suspected would later go into the boiling pot that sat on the burner. I smiled deviously when I heard her humming and saw the happy little grin on her face. When she was in a mood like this, there was absolutely no way she could deny it!

"Hey mom," I greeted as I sauntered into the kitchen. I walked past her and hoisted myself up onto the counter, sitting on the empty space next to where she was working. I watched her chop up ingredients for a little bit before she had realized that I had spoken. She gasped a little and tilted her head up to face me, and she gave a little smile. "What'cha cooking?" I asked.

"Get off the counter, you," she chuckled, putting down her knife and nudging me off on the counter. I landed on the floor with a little thud. I turned around to face mom, running a hand through my hair. She grinned over at me again, chuckling as she turned back to what she was working on. "I'm making fettuccine alfredo tonight," she paused, both speaking and preparing ingredients. She looked over her shoulder, pursing her lips together. "You're in a particularly good mood. Is something up?"

"Well," I seethed as I averted my gaze away from hers and over to the cupboards on the other side of the room. I began to freak out when I realized that she had caught onto me. I tapped my fingers on the counter and sighed. "Ronald's taking my friends on an out-of-town trip and I really, really, really wanted to tag along," I repeated the wored several times to further prove my case, "I was wondering if I could go along."

She cocked and eyebrow and turned around to face me. She put her hands on her hips and narrowed her eyes. "A trip? What exactly are you going to do on this trip? Who's all going? When are you getting back?"

I sighed and shook my head. She was always so persistant with her questions. "We're going to an amusement park with Grell, Alan, Eric, and probably Ashlyn. We'll probably get back on Saturday or Sunday."

Mom tilted her head to the side. "Wait, this weekend? When are you even leaving?"

I figured that it would be best not to lie or fake anything, so I decided to tell her the truth. "We're leaving at eight tonight."

"Tonight?" she gasped, backing up into the counter. "William Theodore Spears, you have school tomorrow! You can't just skip or play hooky! Not to mention, you're driving at night! Do you have any idea how dangerous that could be?! You guys could get into a terrible accident!" she continued to rage on, but I paid no mind, "I'm sorry, Will, but I just can't let you go."

"What?!" I asked. It was my turn to be surprised. "Mom, I can't cancel now! Ron's coming tonight!"

"I said no, Will. I'm sorry."

"Mom," I complained, walking up behind her and resting my head on her shoulder. "Please?"

"No."

I sighed as I dragged myself upstairs to my room. There was no point, her answer was no and I doubt there was anyway I could change that. I shut the door behind me and sat down on my bed, slumping forward. I fell over onto my side, letting my legs dangle off the edge as I simply laid there. How would I be able to change her mind?

The hours passed by quickly as I spent the time alone in my room. I held my phone close to my face, lazily scrolling through all the social media sites I had. It was the same-old same-old drama that there usually was. I clicked it off and set next to me, staring up at the ceiling as I began to doze off. Then, waking me from my almost slumber, there was a knock at the door. I yelped and jumped up, looking around frantically. I heard mumbling from downstairs, followed by a yell from downstairs. "Will, you've got company!"

I furrowed my brows together. It was undoubtedly Ronald and the rest of our friends, there was no possibility that anybody else would be here. I would have suspected my mother to have told them that I couldn't go and sent them away. Still a bit confused, I threw my door open and bounded down the stairs, only to see Ronald standing in the empty doorway. He gave a little wave and a smile. "Hey," he greeted with a chuckle.

I pursed my lips together and cocked my head to the side. I looked to the side, only to see my mom standing in the entrance to the dining room with a smug smile on her face. I looked back to Ronald and then returned my gaze to my mom. "Mom?" I asked, taking a few steps in her direction, "I thought you made it clear that I couldn't go?" I asked, crossing my arms as I frowned and glared at her.

Mom simply shrugged as Dad exited the kitchen and stood behind her, putting his hands on her shoulder. She looked up at him and they shared a smiled before they both looked back to me. "Well, it took a little convincing, but your father has me believing that you're a responsible young man. You're old enough to take care of yourself now, and I think you can handle yourself for a weekend."

I felt my jaw drop as I looked over to Ronald, who was smiling smugly to himself. "What'd I tell you earlier, Will? Go pack your bags."

-Oli