Wilder POV:

"Okay, I should be back in the next two days. I have to confirm with my colleagues before I can make any decisions," Lily said, standing at the doorway with her paperwork tucked under her right arm.

"What type of decisions do you think they will make?" Becca said, her hands twitching in nervousness.

Lily gave a comforting smile. "I will make sure that you get out of here. I will fight for you if I have to but I don't think it will come to that. All the evidence from the witnesses are damning. I'm sure you'll be in the foster care program in this week."

"Okay," Becca said but her voice was unsteady.

"I'll give you a call before I come by in person to let you know how everything is.

"Yep," I said, holding up my phone.

"Well, I'll be off, good luck."

Then she turned tail and walked away. It was like we were all in a trance, all quiet and solemn as we watched her walk away.

"Are you okay?" Zander asked Becca as soon as Lily departed in her blue Honda.

Becca didn't look up. 'Yeah, I just need to spend some time alone," she said, looking up at us with shy eyes. They looked so lost and broken that it hurt me to even look at it even though she wasn't my sister. God, Zander, must be going through this ten times worse than I am.

I checked on him and I could totally see his eyes turning red and watery. Becca didn't look back at us one time while going up the stairs, almost as if she didn't care.

"Are you okay?" I asked Zander.

"I'm... I'm fine. I think I need some time alone too. I'm going to go for a walk around the neighbourhood," Zander said, carefully ducking under my arm which was wrapped around his shoulder. He went to the closet to get his coat out.

It was starting to get into the colder months so there was always a breeze out. It didn't matter if it was 50 degrees out, the breeze would make it feel like 30 or 20 degrees.

"Do you want me to come with you?" I asked, my eyes narrowed in concern.

"No, no, I really think I need a couple of minutes alone."

I walked him to the door and opened it, watching as his hands started playing with each other. He only ever does that when he gets nervous and trust me, he usually got nervous around me a lot.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I think I'll be back in an half an hour."

I watched Zander as he walked away, this time not even looking back towards me. I felt my heart drop down to the bottom of my chest. Everything was going to get better and I knew that but right now it looked like everything was falling apart. I guess it had to get worse before it could get better.