Zander POV:

I can't believe that we slept in! This was probably the most important day of her life. I can't imagine how she might be feeling right now. She's probably thinking that we totally abandoned her and now I have this big sinking pit of guilt stuck in the bottom of my stomach, weighing me down.

A warm hand placed itself on top of my hand that we supported by the middle console. I was so deep in my thoughts that I flinched when that action happened. Wilder looked at me with his deep brown pools filled with concern.

"Zander, it's going to be alright. We're going to make it to the school on time and everything will work out. You have to stop worrying so much; it's really bad for your health," he said, his eyes flickering from the road back to my eyes.

I took a deep breath. "I guess..."

"Do you want to listen to some music?" he asked almost gingerly.

"I'm not in the mood for music. I have too many thoughts going on," I said, turning our hands over so that I could entwine all of our fingers together. For some reason, always being in his presence or just touching him makes me feel much more comfortable and safe.

"What's your favorite food?"

I swirled my head around to look at him, squinting my eyes to make sure that I heard him right.

"What did you say?" I asked incredulously.

"What's your favorite food?" he asked again but when I didn't answer and just instead stare at him, he continued, "Everyone has a favorite food. My favorite was mac n cheese as a child but now I can't stand the taste for it. My new favorite is pizza."

Why the hell was he asking all of these stupid questions when we have a bigger problem going on instead? I thought, thoroughly confused.

When I still didn't answer, he asked again. "Come on, you know the answer. Just say it."

"Okay...," I said, finally deciding to follow along with it, "I guess my favorite food would have to be bacon or ice cream."

He gave me a small smile. "That's a weird combination."

I just shrugged and my thoughts started to drift back over to Becca, my conversation with Wilder already drifting away.

"What's your favorite animal?"

Once again, I gave him a weird look but he responded with just a serious look. He gave my hand a little squeeze to show, I guess it was to show that he was still being truthful and there for me even during these weird questions.

"My favorite animal was always the fox. I used to have a pet named Kayo when I was younger. She was a Shiba Inu with a mixture of orange, tan, and white. She looked just like a fox and had the spirit of the fox too. She was the best active and loving dog a boy would ever have," Wilder said.