Chapter 33: The Phycho

(Hayley's Pov)

After my release with bail I had a lot of people to thank, and repay. The first thing I did when I got home was stay in bed and ignored company, and calls I was receiving from friends. I guess finding out your best friend harbored and was the girlfriend of a notorious criminal was huge news. And it was, the media around the country had taken hold of this story and had been debating over in for the last couple of weeks. So while press bombarded our house and Emerson for answers I stayed in with my brother who was given a month for the honeymoon him and Ashley deserved.

Like always I had 'interfered' with his plans and he ended up staying at our parents house with me most nights, after a while he left to Hawaii with his wife.

Cody, media ripped into him like he was nothing. His lawyer had called that he was incompetent to stand on trial and he was taken back to Emerson for evaluation and treatment. That didn't stop him from getting the death penalty, it was still up in the air and no one really knew what to do with 'the psycho'. It was important to his lawyer that he didn't understand the nature or wrongfulness of his crimes. Marcos said it was a bad call and that the judge wouldn't send him away again but he did. I blamed it on his lawyer, he sucked and he was bashed by the media for siding with a man who murdered teen girls for fun.

They put Cody in a room they thought was most appropriate for him. A room where he had gone on several occasions when he picked a fight or we had got caught. It was just him by himself. When needed, he'd be escorted by not one but four men everywhere he went. Two men remained outside of his door.

If he needed to use the restroom he was taken by the men. The stall did not shut. They stood right there waiting for him to finish. After he was done he'd wash his hands. Same thing for a shower. He'd be hand cuffed up until he was able to strip down and he had a minimum of ten minutes to shower and dry off. I heard all these thing by whispers. I even heard whispers that I should also be in one of the rooms. I was insane for loving him.

I was talking to Cody today, I hadn't seen him since we were separated at the police station and I needed to know if he did kill that guy. If he did what was he actually capable of? A guard who I had seen plenty of times around led me down the hallway. We stopped in front of a metal door and cursed myself for doing this all over again, I knew what was my better judgement but I had kicked the good angel of my shoulder and waltzed into the building led by the devil himself.

"She has authorization from Doctor Derrick, and Mr. Emerson." The door opened and I found him in the corner laying down staring at the ceiling. His hands resting on his stomach twitched.

"Fuck Off." He said without looking at any of us.

"Knock when your ready." The black man said and I thanked him. Cody didn't move. I didn't know what was the best way to approach him so I laid beside him with a sigh.

"Looks like we're both in big trouble." I say, I heard his uniform material crinkle and I turned to look over at him. We stared at each other for several moments.

"What are you doing here?" He asked in a tone and I rolled my eyes.

"To talk? We both were arrested and you were charged with a huge amount." He sighed ignoring my stubbornness and laid down beside me. I didn't lay back down, rather I laid on my side as Cody placed his hand on my bare thigh as a jolt went through me.

"Sooner or later we should've known they'd tear us down" he said fiddling with the hem of my dress.

"I need sleep, but my thoughts keep me awake. I want a smoke," he said taking long pauses in between each sentence. "I've already lost my mind Hayley," he said pausing for a very long time. "Maybe I am Insane. What if everyone was right? As I just stared at him taking in the bags under his eyes. He rolled onto his knees before sitting up against the wall. I followed him, leaning against him my head on his shoulder.

"The silence is an intense roar.." he said and I place my hand into his.

"You feel like home" I say looking over at him and he looked at me, we could've been living the life, two lovers on the run. "I thought about you over and over and I couldn't help but think that we got caught because of me-"

"No-"

"I'm not done. I loved you and the thought of you losing against the whole world just broke me. I couldn't begin to think of a life without you. One night I stole my brothers gun, snook out the back door and to a long walk in the rain." He gasped and I lowered my hands to look at my trembling hands through my watering eyes. "I lost my confidence when I left with you. I was so fucking angry that you took that from me. I was pissed because you took away my ability to keep it together. I cried all the way to a park nearby. It looked just like the one in Montana when we did it under the stars after you said you'd marry me. I was so angry at you and I was angry at myself because everyone hated me. I was so angry that you didn't fight for me like I fought for you."

"Hayley." He said stopping me but I continued.

"I can't loose you Cody and I'm scared because you mean more to me than any other person. You are everything I think about and I can't quit. I'll never stop loving you which is why you have to get better and get out of here."

"Come on Hayley don't be unrealistic." He mumbled and I pulled away in confusion.

"What did you say?"

"You and I both know what my inevitable fate is." I shook my head and stood up and mumbled no.

"No. You fucking broke me, don't you dare play the victim." I say standing up and he looked up at me confused. "You don't get to act like you life is over because it not. For fine, your going to get better.."

"I'm not going to get better." He said getting up and coming over to me. "I'm not going to. I have never been good." I shook my head and he nodded I pushed him with all my strength as my bottom lip quivered.

"You placed your sins and burdens on me. On my back." I say and shove him again. "People have used me since the day I was born. Don't hold yourself accountable."

"Face it Hayley, you knew, you knew I was going crazy and you couldn't even tell yourself that I was. God knows what you would've done." He rolled his eyes and tears flowed down my cheeks. "If I had jumped into a river to down myself you would've been right behind me."

"Damn straight and I would drown if it meant I knew you were finally happy. You wish you didn't care about me Cody. And I get that it part of you ego but you can't fight back the feeling when I'm with you. You know you can't. You care. I know you do." In a blink of an eye he had me pressed against the wall, his finger in my face.

"I fucking love you and don't you ever think anything else. You want the truth? I killed my parents Hayley, I wanted to kill your brother so much because how much of an ass he was to us. I wanted you and girls kept showing up despite my reputation and that pissed me off and you want to fucking know what else?" He asked in my face. He had snapped

This was it the moment every doctor and police in America wanted,

"I can't help what happens. I'm Insane"

a confession.

__________________

LONG AWAITED I KNOW

THERE ARE 2 MORE CHAPTERS LEFT

VOTE

COMMENT YOUR THOUGHTS

SHARE
❤️