Chapter 9: His Time Spent In Emerson

(Hayley's Pov)

I decided that it was best to skip college today, so I didn't have to face Anthony. Cody and I had a long talk about what had happened. I told him everything they said to me, I told him what my lawyer said. Cody told me to stay away from trying to hide him and that he'd get Corey's help.

It wasn't long after that I found Cody smoking before he went to bed. He smoked this morning to and had mentioned he was about to go out again. I beat him there, I was already looking out at the city when he walked out with a beer in one hand and a can of Bud Light Straw-Ber-Rita. He set it in front of me as I watch him light a cigarette and open his bottle. I was no stranger to drinks anymore as my first year sent me parties, and getting so drunk my dorm mate had to help me. I watched him take a drag and let out a sigh of relief, his hand found it way to my thigh as I kissed his cheek.

"Your not a people's person are you Cody?"

"I've only taken one drink and your already trying to get into deep talk with me?" He said and I smiled. "I am definitely social, you just haven't seen it. Plus it's only with people I've known."

"You didn't talk to a single person at Emerson." I say.

"I talked to Tommy." He said looking.

"Please, the both of you only talked when you were throwing death threats."

"I talked to people after you left..none of them sane enough to remember."

"Will you please tell me what happened in there." I ask placing my hand on his cheek, usually he'd walk away, or even roll his eyes, but he let me turn his face to look at me, and sighed.

"I don't know why it's so important to you, it's the past, I want to get over it." He told me. He looked over at me before taking a drink and digging into his pocket. He pulled out his lighter and cigarettes and set them on the table. He went to grab them but I stoped him my hand on top of him and I turned to look at him.

"I can help you if you let me in." I say, we held our stares before he rested back into his chair.

"There where days where you didn't come, and I'd sit at one of the visitors table getting looks from mothers, and parents who held their daughters closer at the sight of me. Sometimes I stayed in my room so I didn't have to hear their whispers. I told you how I was moved down a floor, but I didn't tell you why I got moved back up, not on my original floor, but up on the floor above it. Floor E was hell. I didn't know why they moved me up, but I soon learned that I belonged there. It was like the whole floor was for crazy people. I wasn't crazy. I had gotten used to you not coming and I got into many fights, not just with Tommy, but with older patients, and myself. I broke two mirrors before they came in and removed the third so I would stop hurting myself" I started seeing Derrick three times a week. I wanted to leave Hayley, and I tried really hard to do what you told me, but it's hard when everyone thinks of you as a woman killer." He said and I continued to listen.

"After a while, my prognosis changed to schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Derrick said I was in the early stages of it and the they'd better treat it right away. I missed you that was all. They didn't understand that though, please don't make me explain schizophrenia to you, it's hard enough to hear your diagnosed with it."

"You don't have to."

"I still don't know why they continue to tell me I'm bipolar when I'm not. I don't have depression, Derrick just said that I get angry easily. They started assigning me to group therapy..." he paused swallowing hard looking down and thinking with clenched fists, I watched them carefully. "They decided it wasn't working.. they moved me to a room-it was right after a fight with Tommy, so they separated us and I was fighting with a nurse but then I was sedated. When I woke up, I was lying on a bed and I tired getting up but I was restrained by four points. I yelled at the nurse asking her where she was taking me. I called her bad names Hayley, names Tommy used."