Chapter 10: You What?

(Hayley's Pov)

Over the next few weeks I didn't think anything would make me more mad about my parents allowing Cody to have ECT. But fighting with Cody had topped the list. We argued about moving again, this time he wanted to move to the other side of the coast. How was he going to have money for this? I don't even have enough money.

This whole moving things distracted me all the time because every time I saw Cody, he was on my computer looking at 'Best Places to Live in the US' or 'Best Secluded Places to live in the US.' Anthony had asked if I wanted to go watch the basketball game then head to a party, when I told him I'd text him my answer later he got suspicious.

"What's up with you?" He asked as we walked toward the lounge.

"I'm stressed, I told you that the other day."

"I guess I could let you off the hook since I don't really know what it's like for a psychotic ex to be-"

"Be a bit louder Anthony please," I say looked back at the small group we passed as the whispered, looking over at us. "I totally want everyone at campus to know." Anthony grabbed my elbow and stopped me.

"You need a break, just let loose with everything. Claire and I are playing tonight and she's going to the party. So is Betty, all of us will be together."

"I told you I'd text you my answer." I say looking around seeing his friends on the team come in.

"Come on Hayley, what's it going to hurt?" He asked touch the side of my face.

"Nothing," I sigh looking up at him. "Fine I'll go." I say and he lifted both of his fists in victory, before I could even blink his lips where in mine. I laughed and kissed him back. I was caught in between him and Cody. Anthony never failed to put a smile on my face, while Cody angered me. But deep down Cody and I had this connection that went all the way back two years.

-

There was no surprise that I got looks from my peers as my brother had yanked my from a drunk Anthony's grasp, and held onto my arm tightly as he drug me through the house as I tripped over my slightly drunk self. It had been a particularly chilling evening in Beverly Hills, colder than normal, so he wrapped his LAPD jacket around my shoulder before helping me into his patrol car.

"It's almost 2am on a Friday night. Don't you have work tomorrow?" He asked. I processed what he said and looked down at my phone. "You reek of smoke and alcohol." He said and I looked away from him. "I should have you arrested for under age drinking. Did Anthony bring you here?" He asked. "How much have you had to drink?"

"5..maybe 6" I say letting my heavy head fall back against the window as he takes through the scanner, calling the party in. I was going to get hell for this when I go back to school.

He dug into the middle compartment while watching the road, and handed me a water bottle.
"Drink this." He says.

"But I don't-"

"Hayley just drink it." He said sighing before replying to the scanner. I rolled my eyes and opened it before drinking.

"Do you have a gun Hayley?" He asked as we reached the station after a quiet antagonizing car ride. He waiting this whole time for me to sober up a bit before asking me these questions?

"No." I say as I grabbed his hand as he helped me stand.

"You don't hid one in your couch?"

"No." I say hugging my arms, as we head into the station. The warm air engulfed me and I sighed but Elijah had his hand on my back, steadying me. "Can you please just take me home, I'm tired."

"Did Cody have a gun?" He asked as I sat in his chair with a sigh but looked up at him.

"How would I kno-No, I don't think he did."I lie, sitting up in his chair.

"I found an Emerson issued gun from the deputy hired there, hidden in your couch, I tried to ask if you wanted to go eat a late supper but I found it. Has Cody been back at the house?"

"No. He must've left it, or hidden it- I don't know Elijah." I say looking over to the clock.

"What's gotten into you Hayley?" He asked sitting on the edge of the desk as I signed. I truly hated these types of conversations, they always need in my getting aggravated, and us fighting. I hated when we fought. "Your smoking, partying, that's not the Hayley I know."

"Yeah well maybe mom and dad will finally notice me, I'm not the bad child ya know-"

"Your worried about them-?"

"What does it have to take for them to call me? Do I need to wound up passed out in the middle of the street? Maybe then they will pay attention to me. Why don't they ask how I'm doing? They've just kept pushing me away since I spoke at Cody's trial-"

"That doesn't mean you have to try and do things that will hurt you-"

"What's it matter to you!?" I ask loudly standing up which caused me to go dizzy and Elijah to grab my arms for support. I had gained stairs from around the room, and I looked down at Elijah's hand holding onto my forearm. "Just take me home, please." I say.

"Do you ever worry about people?"

"Of course, I worry all the time about you, mom, dad-"

"No I mean like the criminals you arrest." I ask as we had parked at our complex.

"This is about Cody?" He asks and I nod slightly.

"You don't want to hear it, but I'm worried about him." I say picking at my acrylics, "Is he going to get himself shot? What will he do when he's out of his medicine? He should've just stayed in that place he called hell, he would've been safe, he could've gotten out.." I say a stray tear falling from my eye as I blinked but I whipped it away and looked up out of the window to the sky. "He just wanted to live ya know?"

"He's not dead Hayley."

"Is he really though?" I say looking over at him and he signed. I opened the door, and got out.

"Hayley," Elijah said and I looked over at him after shutting the door. His arms resting on the car, "I know you love him. I know you crave for attention from mom and dad. But hurting yourself isn't the way to recover." He says I look down at the heels that there in my hand and my bare feet.

"Thanks for the ride." I say before turning to walk to the door, I left him standing there. I walked through the lobby looking up to meet the eyes on the security guard, before hurrying over to an open elevator. I caught the eyes of Elijah looking at me as the elevator doors closed. I gripped the metal bars as the metal box shifted up, counting up all the way to my floor. My head rested against the wall, closed my eyes and listened to the soft instrumental music, and I sighed.

Ding!

I lifted myself up and dragged toward the door, unlocking my apartment with a key and closing the door behind me, but I was faced with Cody, and a heavy looking duffel bag.

"Hayley... I though you were sleeping." He said frantically and I looked at him concerned.

"What's wrong?" I ask walking into the living room to look at the bag. "Are you leaving?" I ask, he grabbed me softly turning me away from the bag and out of the balcony.

"You smell like alcohol, and weed." He says and I looked away from him.

"What's going on? Did you plan on moving out and not telling me?"

"No it's not that." He said.

"What's going on?" I ask touching his upper chest.

"Well, I'm not sure how to tell you this without you getting mad," he said walking back into the house. I watched him lift up the duffle bag with all his strength and setting it on the couch. I shy and locked the balcony door and walked over to him.

"Cody what did you do?" I ask, he looked over at me and began to unzip the bag. I saw green and I pushed his hands away and pulled the flaps open. Stacks on money where thrown on top of each other and I looked over at him.