Chapter 6: Fiona's Confusion

Start from the beginning

***

Fiona headed to the library after she had said her goodbyes to Rain and Jake. Jake still completely immersed in party planning.

I can use this time to explore the library, and see if there is any truth behind that urban legend Bubba was telling me about on the first day...

As she opened the antique wooden doors, the smell of old books and dusty pages hit her. She took in a deep breath, reveling in the scent, the promise of a possible way home.

The library was, for the most part, very empty. A few students and librarians shuffled silently through the countless bookshelves and archives re-shelving books. That must be an unending job in this place...

Fiona went to one of the many library catalogue computers dispersed throughout the main floor and typed in 'LAND' and 'AAAA'. Nothing came up. Disappointedly, she typed in her next phrase: 'WORMHOLE TRAVEL'. Might as well start with the basics if I am going to be stuck here for the time being...

Low and behold a long list of books explaining the different theories and physics of a wormhole popped up. She clicked on the first book The Science of Wormholes. That looks like a good place to start... The catalogue informed her that the book was located on the left wing of the sixth floor. She took a slip of yellow paper and a small pencil that was sitting next to the computer, and jotted down the author and number of the book, not wanting to have to go all the way back down if she couldn't remember.

She took the long, winding, staircase up to the sixth floor, and followed the signs until she reached the left wing which read 'SCIENCE' above the entrance. Before entering, she heard a soft whimper coming from down the hall perpendicular to the entrance. She stopped, and listened it came again. As an adventuress of Aaaa, it is my duty to protect the innocent... I have to investigate. She wandered down the hallway, the whimpering growing louder and louder. It was coming from the poetry section. She rounded the corner and gasped.

"Marshall?" She whispered breathlessly.

The he was asleep in a small alcove with a window seat, over looking the grassy, tree-lined center of the campus. His head and shouldered slouched against the wall, with the rest of his body lying on the blue velvety, upholstered window seat. He had his headphones in, and large piles of books stacked neatly around him, with one resting open on his chest. His eyes shut tight, and his lips mouthing words. He whimpered again. She ran to him, trying to shake him from his dream.

"Marshall! Marshall! Wake up! It's just a dream." She whispered.

His eyes popped open, and he smirked. "Fooled you!"

She frowned. "Wow, thanks Dracula. I thought something was really wrong..."

She crumpled the yellow piece of paper in her hand as she stood up.

"What's this?" He grabbed the piece of paper from her hand, and read it.

"Hey! Give that back!" She protested, but he put a finger to her lips as he stood up.

"Shush, don't you know you are suppose to be quiet in a library? Where are your manners?"

She glared at him, and tried to bite his finger away. "I wouldn't to that if I were you, good little girl." He glanced up at the ceiling. She followed his gaze, which was fixed on a rotating security camera. She hadn't noticed it before.

"My bodyguards might be on you like white on rice if you hurt me..." He winked at her. "Though I don't think I would mind getting roughed up a bit by you."

She glared. "So that is the way they keep an eye on you?"

He turned his attention from the security camera. "Oh, so you know about the son of the notorious crime boss?"