[11] More Things To Try With Horses

Sleeping At Last - Mercury. Its the theme song of this book. Enjoy it and it might be played in many chapters.

After grooming with Kira, I return her to her stall and give her a cup of grain. I decide to do something with Swiftfire. I tie him on cross ties and get his tack. I get the box with the tack and return quickly to Swiftfire. I exchange the halter with a bridle and place the pad on his back. I lift the saddle and click the straps, it takes me less time than before.

I untie the cross ties and lead him out of the stable. I get him to the arena which was closed, I lead him through the doors and close them. I get a mounting block and climb on it, I hoist myself on the saddle and Swiftfire rears. I smile, I love this place so much. I squeeze Swift and he runs in the trot, I ask him for canter and he goes towards one of the hurdles, and he jumps off the ground I smile widely and he plunges over the jump without knocking or touching the pole. We continue going over the poles.

''Good boy,'' I croak and he continues to go over the hurdles like they were nothing. He upsurges the longest we did and stops after we clear them all. I am so proud of him and myself.

I give him a hug and he puts his head around my shoulder. I giggle and he waves his head. I break the hug and he swishes his tail and I laugh.  I lead him out of the arena and he follows, with one snort. I lead him to the paddock and tie him to the fence. I start untacking him. I loosen the straps and watch them fall on the ground, along with the saddle. I  pull the pad towards me and untie the reins, leading him through the gate. I slip them off and let him run loose in the paddock, he galloped around and then stopped to graze the grass. I grab the tack and take it with me to the storeroom which was few meters from here. I toss the tack inside and decide to go check on Kira.

(...)

''You know, girl'' I say ''World around is all about one thing. Money. But I wonder if this farm different.'' I continue, she looks at me over the stable door.

''What do you think?'' I question her and she continues to pick the left of the grains. Once she finished she shook her coat and looked back at me, she stretched her neck and tried to bite. I yell a loud 'No' and she moved off. '' Let's get you to the ring,'' I croak and she lifts her head. I grab the rope from my left and open the stable doors. Kira rears and I throw the rope over her head, tightening it around her neck. She rears and swings her legs at me and I pull the rope. But it was late. Her hoof hit my chest and I yank back. I groan as I fall to the ground stepping backward from the stable. Kira continues to rear. Even if I close the doors, I lean on the stable doors and cough. Not much harm was done. Thankfully. I decide to try again and I get up. I grab the rope that was on the ground and pull Kira down. She calms down but her nostrils flare as our eyes meet. I get the carrot out of my pocket and whistle. She steps in front with her ears flickering back and forth. I lead her out of the barn and she follows pretty well for the start. I enter the ring and grab a lunging whip. I let her go in circles. I pursue her with the whip that touched her rump and she ran around me.

The feeling I got when I arrived at this ranch was unpredictable, I love it and at the same time, I hate it. I forgot my previous life. But I understand my future. I need to stay here. This is where I belong. I never had this desire of staying in one place, I was just a chick that used to go to the school every day and talk with her best friends about boyfriends and other shitty stuff. I never felt this way, I never saw anyone that made me feel this way. But now I know who is it, Kira. I somehow understood that life has to change. Kira is a horse that made me feel different. She changed me so much. I feel like I never want to leave this place.

Kira was still running around me and then I call her to stop ''Woah!" She slows down as I put the lunge whip in front of her chest.

This was really good. I don't know where did I learn all of this, but it makes me feel like I'm my self.

I walk to Kira and she nudges my shoulder. I pick out a treat for her and she slowly eats it, bobbing her head as she does.

''Listen, that horse is dangerous and dumb,'' Voice says, I turn around and see Austin, yeah, not Mark.

''Pretty girl like you shouldn't...'' He continues, but on his unfortunate Kira runs towards him, even if he was from another side of the fence, he jumps backward.

''What you said was the biggest lie, I ever heard from your mouth. Now shoo!" I say and he clears off. He runs away and I giggle. Kira walks back and lowers her head.

''Thank You, girl'' I say and scratch her ear. Tickling her.

She snickers and I take off the rope from her neck. That's it, she is free.

''You are free, girl'' I throw away the rope and she rears. I smile but hold my ground. I don't want to move, I am not afraid.

She runs around me in the round rings with few bucks and rears. I love how much I changed.

Kira was a beautiful horse, I think I never saw anything or anyone pretty as her. I and she clearly get along well. I stretch out my hand and she sniffs it. I pat her muzzle and the mare snickers.

''Girl, let's get you to the empty paddock, I have to call my best friend'' I say grabbing the rope and Kira walks close, allowing me to get on the rope. I set it loose around her neck and lead her out of the round ring. I jog and she trots to the empty paddock and I flip the rope over her head. I give her the rest off the carrot and she eats it. She looks at me and bolts off in a dashing run. I chuckle and put the rope on the fence. I wave to her and leave the area. I enter the house and follow the carpet which led to 'my' room. I enter it and find a phone on my desk. I dial Carly's number and patiently I switch the ear where is the phone located.

'Carly here, is that Allison?'

'Yes! Carly, how are you?'

I wait for her to answer

'It is really pretty here! I am fine. Do you like it there?'

I smile.

'It is amazing, I love it. So I met many new people here and I am taking care of an abused horse, Kira'

''That's amazing. I made my new best friends'

'But Carly! Us two are the best friends'

Tears build in my eyes

'Look, you are  so far away, and you love it enough so you will most likely stay'

I hang up and burst into tears. I run out of the room and toss the phone on the floor.

How could she?! She was my best friend forever!

People change so much.