Chapter 24: Queen B

There wasn't what you call a preparation in Baekhyun's case.

He literally didn't sleep after receiving his plane ticket until his flight that morning of the 19th. Now he's taken a few steps from the arrival doors and he breathes in the familiar scent and air of Seoul. He remembers the first time he arrived in Seoul almost six months ago with Luhan. Apparently, Luhan caught a flu and being the irresponsible man he was, he forgot to take a mask with him so instead he's left with using a large handkerchief to cover up most parts of his face, which led to him being mistaken as a terrorist adding the fact that he speaks Mandarin or as the securities thought back then—terrorist language. He remembers himself red-faced laughing at Luhan until the securities started to drag him that he interrupted and yelled at them for hours—that's a record—and as a result, they were given free rides to their home. Everything was simple back then. They go on road trips, jumping from one city to another and then eventually, they thought of leaving China and ended up in Seoul. And then everything just took a turn from then on.

He sighs and grabs his trolley.

As expected, he sees Kai hanging around his car outside and smiles. Kai sees him immediately and he waves his hand for him to see when actually he saw him first. He runs to Kai and attacks him with a hug, the younger immediately raising questions. "Did I do something to be given this honor to hug the legendary Byun Baekhyun?" Kai jokes.

Baekhyun chuckles. "Silly. You didn't see me off before so I'm happy you're here today."

"I have an explanation,"

"There's no need." Baekhyun says, pulling out from the hug.

"Come on, let's get you home,"

Baekhyun stares outside the car window, mentally challenging himself with how much he can remember about the places they pass by even after months of absence. He was quite satisfied with the result.

"You changed your hair color," Kai says out of the blue. "I almost didn't recognize you."

"Do you like it?" Baekhyun asks.

"Any style suits you,"

Baekhyun laughs at Kai's safe answer. "So, how's everyone?"

Kai isn't entirely sure to what extent the word everyone means but he answers anyway. "Sehun's graduating this year. Luhan opened a shop. I quit my job."

Baekhyun blinks at him in surprise. "What?"

Kai chuckles. "Luhan bumped into Hyomin one day and they talked then Hyomin proposed this online shop she wants franchising rights from. Luhan agreed to help run the shop. And me, well, I quit Park Industries. Just a month ago actually. I've been wanting to quit anyway but Gyuri gave me the position so out of respect I didn't. Until I was able to talk to Gyuri and she told me that I can quit if Chanyeol finds a replacement. I told Chanyeol and you can say it went better than expected. He kicked me out his house and said 'whatever, I don't need you'." He sighs when he remembers that embarrassing moment. "So there. Now I work as a dance instructor."

Baekhyun immediately beams. "I'm glad you're able to do what you want."

"Someone taught me that." Kai replies with a smile. "You always do what you want, Baekhyun. It makes your life more meaningful, doesn't it?"

"More complicated, you mean."

--

Baekhyun could almost feel his heart leap out of his rib cage when the car pulls into a stop in front of their house. From outside, he can hear the lyrics of 'A Whole New World' booming from inside the house and he can imagine Luhan singing to it, feeling as if he's the one on a magic carpet ride. Kai gets off first and knocks on the door. It took a while before Luhan finally turned the volume down to answer.