Chapter 13: Judgement, The Fool, Justice and Death

“Baekhee?” Chanyeol asked in worry.

“Oh, sorry,” Baekhyun looked down at the mess he made. There seems to be a lot of broken glasses today. The sight of the broken glass shards made his head ache. “I didn’t mean to…drop the glass,” He knelt down to clean up.

Chanyeol walked over and pulled him up. “It’s okay. I’ll do it.”

“Is something wrong?” Mrs. Park asked.

“I think Baekhee’s still tired, mom.”

“Oh, honey, are you okay?”

Baekhyun nodded and smiled slightly. “I just need some rest.”

“I’ll take her upstairs.” Chanyeol helped Baekhyun walk to the stairs, whispering concerns and worries. Baekhyun shrugged him off and convinced him that he’s fine. It was just a normal headache. They come and go.

Yuan watched them go…until he decided to follow upstairs, bowing 90 degrees to Mrs. Park before running to the room. When he got there, he stayed by the door and watched as Chanyeol carefully pulls the blanket up to Baekhyun’s chest with a genuine smile. Baekhyun wasn’t wearing the wig anymore and he saw the blouse and the skirt on the floor so he figured he had already changed clothes.

Chanyeol saw him and walked over. “Stay with him and keep quiet, okay?” Then he left to go back to the living room where his mother was waiting. Yuan stared for a minute before he decided to approach the bed. He just stood there and watched as Baekhyun’s chest rises and falls.

“You really don’t have to take what Chanyeol said seriously.”

Yuan’s eyebrows rose.

Baekhyun turned his head to him and smiled.

“Are you…okay?” Yuan asked with eyes filled with concern. It’s like how kids are normally nervous when something they are used to see suddenly changes. In this case, he’s used to see Baekhyun all energetic and smiley (okay not really smiley) and not exhausted and sick.

Baekhyun sat up, pushed the blanket over his legs, and tapped the space beside him. Yuan slowly climbed up the bed and plopped beside Baekhyun.

“You’re lucky you’re still a kid.” Baekhyun suddenly blurted out. “You wouldn’t have to worry about a lot of things. I miss being a kid. I miss those times I don’t care. Now everything seems like marathon that I feel like I don’t have time to rest. I have to keep running.”

“I don’t understand,” Yuan blinked.

Baekhyun chuckled and ruffled his hair. “You don’t have to.”

--

“Hey, hey, I overheard mom’s conversation with her friend!” One of his step-brothers said, though he doesn’t quite remember the face. In this dream, or memory, it’s covered. He can’t remember how he really looks like.

“You shouldn’t eavesdrop.”

“But it’s important!” His step-brother clapped. “You’re going to get married!”

Baekhyun laughed. “That’s a really lame joke.”

“I’m not joking! You know that man who always comes here? He has a son. And mom and he decided to marry you two! Isn’t it exciting?”

Baekhyun snorted. “His son’s gay?”

“Everyone’s gay nowadays.”

“I’m still not going to believe you—hey!”