The Necklace-- Part 1

Hey, remember when I said I would post my 6th grade Young Authors entry if I got to 400 followers?

Here it is. I hate all of you(not really <3)

WARNING:

I DON'T LIKE THIS STORY.

IT IS A BAD STORY AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD WHILE READING IT. I CERTAINLY DID!

regular print = story

bold print = commentary

Part 1: Nicole

I, Nicole Kiliman, sat at the only round table in the Maple High School cafeteria. I still couldn't believe the events of the past week. Just a few days ago, my best friend, Makenzie Sholter, and I were highschool nobodies. That was before I wore my topaz necklace to school, and before Renee Marshall disappeared. This paragraph isn't that bad, actually.

It all started with the first day of highschool. The first day was like any other. When our bus pulled up to its stop, it looked as normal as a highschool can look: a gloomy sky, seniors drinking alcohol in the parking lot, and a dead bird plastered to a window. My mom gave me a weird look after this paragraph because that last sentence is supposed to be sarcastic and she thought it was serious.

"I guess this is our stop," said Makenzie.

"Wonderful," I replied. "Full of sunshine and rainbows." We both laughed at that.

Makenzie and I had done everything together since befoe we could remember: sleepovers, Girl Scouts, volleyball; none was done without the other. So when we were pushed, pulled, and shoved int the hallways of Maple High, we held on to each other.

The weeks flew by, melding into a blur. Soon, my sixteenth birthday was looming. Just before school started on my birthday, I decided to wear my epmire topaz necklace. As soon as I walked through the door, I caught Renee Marshall(the "Queen Bee", if you will) gazing at the jewel. You know, this isn't as bad as I remember it to be, albeit a little cliche.

"Can I help you?" I asked.

"Nice necklace," Renee answered curtly.

"Nice hair bow," I said, gesturing to the pink polka-dotted hair bow lodged in her flowing blonde hair.

"Thanks," Renee replied. I turned around and began to walk away.

"Wait!" Renee suddenly yelled. "Do you want to sit at my table at lunch?"

"Sure," I replied. "But only if my friend can sit with us too."

"Okay," she said cheerily. "Ta ta!" Omfg.

The exchange left me puzzled. Why would the most popular and, according to rumors, meanest girl in our grade invite me to lunch? Did she want something from me? And who says "ta ta" anymore? Well, as my grandma says, never look a gift horse in the mouth! I can't fucking believe this.

When I was boarding the bus that afternoon, Renee pulled me aside.

"Can I borrow that necklace?" Renee asked way too sweetly for me to trust her with my most prized possession. If I listened closely enough, I could hear the sharp edge of malice grafted into the sickly sweetness.

"No," I replied. She tugged me closer by my shirt collar.

"Nicole," she whispered so forcibly I was amazed we weren't overheard. "You will leave that necklace in its case in your locker in gym on Friday, and will put it there of your own free will or so help me god, you will be sorry." I was terrible at blackmail .-.

The last part she whispered so poisonously, I had no doubt that she could makeme and Makenzie sorry. So I did what everyone else who was pressured to give their belongings to Renee did: I agreed. What else could I do? How about get a fucking teacher dimwit.

But today was Monday. No shit, Sherlock. I still had four more days. I could buy a fake, or I could convince my mom to let me change schools. No, I thought. Renee would notice the fake, and I would abandon Makenzie to four years of lonliness and embarrassment.

As soon as I got home, I gently unhooked the necklace. I would have four more days with it.

This brought tears to my eyes. Oh for fuck's sake. The necklace had been the first and last present my dad gave to me. When I was three, my parents had an argument and he stormed out with his stuff. Seven years later, a mysterious package showed up on the doorstep without a return address. I opened it gently, and the shimmering jewel fell out, along with a note. It  explained why my father left me, and told of a piece of paper that would help me in times of trouble. I needed that paper now. Hey look, cliche backstory!

I ran my hands over the shiny and smooth metal that held the shimmering topaz. Suddenly, I felt a deep scratch. When I examined it closely, I could tell it was a tiny compartment. Why hadn't I noticed it before? Was it because I wasn't in trouble? All foreshadowing/theories = gone. I popped it open with my fingernail. A fortune-cookie like piece of paper was hidden in the necklace.