A Thourough Character Study--Jasico

Just bear with me guys, I'm on a Jasico character high right now. And I found this:

Okay so I’ve gone way farther into the Jasico tag than I’m willing to admit, and nobody is has been talking about my FAVORITE part about this ship so I’m taking it upon myself to bring it to the table

Most people focus on Nico’s relationship relative to Jason. Jason is his rock, a stable, constant loving force that could finally allow old wounds to heal. And that is absolutely true, and an essential part of their relationship.

But what is Jason getting out of the relationship?

Jason is Roman. A soldier. A leader. He’s been forced into so many roles, he hardly knows who he is anymore — and that bought of amnesia didn’t help him any.

Is he Greek or Roman? Is he a Praetor or an equal member of the team? Suddenly all these words that he used to define himself don’t fit anymore. These words used to be Jason’s rock. The team was always more important. The mission. Killing the next monster. No time for your emotions — shove them in a box.

I don’t want to be responsible for everyone’s lives. I don’t know what I’m doing. I’m scared.

In the box.

I’ll never have true friends. They admire my strength. They appreciate my appearance. They fear my father. I’ll be leading them, alone, forever.

In the box.

My mother is either dead or hates me. My father won’t speak to me, no matter what I accomplish. I will never be loved. 

In the box.

Jason’s been thinking these thoughts for so long, he doesn’t even realize that he still thinks them. It’s practically become ingrained in his personality — these deep-rooted beliefs of abandonment and never being good enough (while simultaneously being the only person fit for the job). They’ve been shoved into so many boxes and shut behind so many doors and walls he can put up a brave face and appear perfect when he’s really anything but.

Oh but Nico Di Angelo.

NICO DI ANGELO.

For the most part, Nico had a pretty happy childhood. It was only recently that his world became a living nightmare, and he picked up his issues of abandonment and started creating those boxes and walls. He’s still raw. Still building. 

He can see Jason’s walls. He can see the front. Nico can recognize it from what he’s doing himself. He can see the cracks in Jason’s mask. He can recognize it for what it is — if he bothers to pay attention.

If Jason is a rock, Nico is a pickax. He can see exactly where to strike to make Jason’s front crumble. And if Jason wants to have any hope of finding himself after the war is over, he’s going to need those walls torn down. It’ll hurt, and he’ll probably want to run away from himself again, but Nico isn’t going to let him do that. Better than anyone, Nico knows how important it is to face your demons.