Chapter Thirty Nine

**Jack**

 "ELSA?? ELSA? ELSA, WHERE ARE YOU?" I shout onto the wind, my voice hoarse from yelling so long and hard.  It’s a horrible empty feeling when someone you love has been stolen. It’s numbing and all you can think about is to get them back and to kill the person who took them from you. I feel too blind with rage to be sad right now. 

From the moment I promised Anna and myself to get Elsa back no matter what, I've had no time to feel sadness or anything else but blind, white hot rage that shakes me to my very core. Pitch. I will find you and I will kill you. It scares me a bit how I will easily kill for Elsa....but it’s something I have to do to protect her.  

The wind carries me above the kingdom as I desperately search for Elsa. A flash of blue? The scent of sugar cookies? I have no idea what I should be searching for and that makes me even more worried then I already am. The wind whips at my face making it sting and burn but I ignore it completely. My thoughts are only on Elsa...and how to get her back.

 That look of complete and utter fear written across her face before Pitch leaped through the window, will haunt me for the rest of my days. She was so frightened she couldn’t even scream, her mouth was just shaped like an “o”, wanting to scream but couldn’t. If I’d been a bit sooner to the ‘wedding’ then she would have been safe in my arms right now and Pitch would have been dead. What if, what if, what if. I can’t keep thinking like that. Those kind of thoughts will tear a man apart. No, I must focus on the now and not the past.

 The horrible smell of rotting eggs fill the air. I cover my nose with my sweater, my eyes watering; "What in the-" A black shadow runs across my vision, one second it’s there and then I blink. It’s gone. I smile bitterly, Pitch is close, very close.

 The thing I have to remember about Pitch is he literally is fear and where does fear usually start? The darkness. That's what most children are afraid of after all. When their parents turn of the light and the feeling of being watched by the 'bogey man' comes into play. The children swear that there's something under their bed or in their closets. But in truth, Pitch is everywhere. He is the very shadows that move around like thick black waves of nothingness. The creepy silence that follows a thunder storm. Pitch is the very nightmare that plagues your dreams.

 He is fear.

 But I am much stronger then fear. I will be something Pitch has no experience with, it is his weakness. Hope.  Fear can only make hope quiver and shake but not destroy it. If you have hope, you are have way in beating fear.  My eyes scan the area, looking for the black shadow. Black shadow's mean Pitch and Pitch means Elsa.

 "Jack...."  A low wispy voice calls my name on the wind. "Jack...Jack." I know it’s a trap and that I shouldn't listen but the voice but the voice sounds so much like Elsa when she is hurt. "Jack...Jack please. Help." Her voice breaks a little at the end, like she's tired and ready to give up.  I fly around the tree tops, desperately trying to find Elsa. "Jack...Jack please...” Her voice is louder now, more clear then it was before. I'm getting close. 

 The treeline thins out to a clearing but it’s not like the happy, full of life clearing Elsa and I meet up at. This clearing is rotting and dying the pungent stench of decay is everywhere.  The grass is an ugly brown colour as if the very life has gotten sucked out of it. The trees lining the clearing have wilting leaves that don't even have the energy to fall anymore.  Even the wind around this place smells sour and dead.

 A cave craved out of a mountain beckons me in with a slight howling sound. I know it’s a trap and I know that Pitch is in there, waiting for me. "Jack..." the voice whispers again. “Jack...Jack, come help me, please." I grip my staff. Elsa is in there, waiting for me. It doesn’t matter if it’s a trap or not. I will find her, protect her, and then kill Pitch.