Chapter twenty two

**Elsa**

I ignore the look of childish wonderment that is written across Jack's face and get down to work. When he mentioned Pitch, it was like a shock of electricity shot through my body, lets just say it didn't feel pleasant. His name is so familiar, like I have heard it before and my Father taught me long ago that magic is a powerful thing and although you can't usually fight it, you can prepare yourself against it. Thus he showed me this room.

"Elsa... why do you have a secrete room in your study?"  Jack says peering around the dimly lit room. A single candle is on the old wooden table. I go over and whisper the incantation that I have long since memorised, into the little flame.  "Aiya, eardrella, sue." As soon as I say the last word the whole room lights up, although the candle flame still stays small. Jack's eyes are huge and round and his mouth opens and closes, like a fish caught out of water.  

My eyes adjust to the now, semi bright room. A glass case is on the other side of the room, filled with containers of brightly coloured liquids.  Most of them older then my Father was. Jack taps the glass; "What the hell..."  "Don't do that!" I hiss, slapping his arm.  Jack makes a face at me. He doesn't really understand the serious situation  we are in. Not that I know much about it ether.

I go over to the old book shelf, ignoring the book about trolls. The very same book that saved Anna's life and ended mine. "Pitch... Pitch,..." I mumble under my breath.  A black leather bound book with the symbol of a horse of the front. "Bingo!" I say happily, setting the book out on the table. 

Jacks eye brows raise. "What is that,..."  I flip it open, spewing dust every where. Ugh and the awful smell of wet mildew that gets caught in your throat and lungs. Big golden curvy letters on the first page it reads 'Pitch.'    

"Pitch the sprit of fear is the first of the sprits that the Man on the moon decided to give life. Later he created the guardians. Pitch can get in your head, controlling your dreams and fears.  In special cases or peak power, he can cast memory spells which can last for as long as he needs to."

Jack looks angry. "That explains why I couldn't remember who he was. It was like someone put fog into my mind, making it slow and hazy. Ugh, god I hate Pitch."  "You've met him?"  Jack nods, his hand clenched in a fist.  "He can also shape shift... but only in extreme cases. Pitch.." Jack slams the book shut, his blue eyes looking like a stormy sea.  Angry and confused.

"Stop saying his name so freely Elsa." He says grinding his teeth.  I can tell it irks him when I so much as even mention Pitch. His muscles tense and his eyes narrow. I hate making him feel like that. "Jack.. what are we going to do?"  Pitch seems powerful and dangerous, how can we defend ourselves. Jack looks at me, watching me as I bite my lip nervously and play with my hands.

Jack holds my hands away from each over, inspecting my ivory skin. "First of all stop worrying. It makes me worry seeing you worry. Second, I have beaten him once and trust me I'll do it again. I promise he will never hurt you Elsa,"  He says kissing my hands tenderly.

He wraps me in a hug, tight and protective. The smell of pine swirls around me. Ugh, why does he always have to smell so good? Goddam you Jack.  He squeezes me tighter towards me, but hey I'm not complaining. His strong arms make me feel so safe and secure. Like Jack could protect me from anything and I know he can. I resist the urge to kiss him on the lips, to taste his cool, spicy lips on my own.

Wait.. what am I doing?? I can't think of Jack like that! I mean.. I just.

"Um.." I say letting go of him first. Jack look confused and sad but he hides it well. I wouldn't know he looked sad if I didn't know him well but I do.  "Hahaha.. so that's done. I just wanted to see um, who Pitch was and.." 

Jack is so close to me right now and all I can smell is pine. Fresh forest, so crisp  and just as addicting.  "You don't have to be afraid of  me, Princess. I won't hurt you."   No... but I might hurt you. Even if by accident, even if I don't mean it. I push him away, looking at the ground, not wanting to meet his deep sea blue eyes that seem to pull me in every time.  

"Wait for me outside!" I blurt out. Jack shifts from one foot to the other; "Okay... I'll wait for you then."  Jack says coolly. I don't look up until I hear the groan and creek of the book shelves spreading apart and the soft  click of the door being closed. I cover my mouth and scream, softly. That was close, far too close.

I take deep breaths, trying to get his amazing blue eyes out of my mind. My eyes drift to the book shelf. A blue book stands out to me, on the side it has a delicate snowflake. I pick it up, 'Jack Frost, the sprit of winter.'  My heart skips a beat. This could help me understand Jack and who he is. Where he came from.

I take a few other books, a herb book and a dream reading book to cover up the book about Jack Frost. I mean I don't want him to think I'm a stalker or something. From no on I won't push Jack away, you know unless he is being an annoying pest. 

I exit the secrete room and go to the library, Jack hops up from the chair he was sitting on. "You book worm," He teases pinching my cheeks. I roll my eyes, if he only knew my real purpose.

I hope he doesn't find out.