Chapter Nineteen

**Elsa**

The walk to the council room is silent. Gavin tries to start conversation but I'm too worried about Jack to really pay attention.  I hope he is okay, I know how hot headed he can be. I'm worried that he'll do something rash. I twist and turn my hands.

Its my fault. I shouldn't have looked at him like that, ignoring him is the worst possible thing to do to him. No one can see Jack but I and here I am, ignoring him for Gavin. Shutting people out, is that all I'm good for?

"I can't help but notice that your a little distant, milady," Gavin's pine green eyes are focused in front of us but I can see him looking at me from the corner of his eye. "Its nothing.." I say a little too quickly. Gavin stops and turns to me, searching my eyes. "You were always bad at lying, my Queen," He says softly. My heart leaps into my throat.  For a second I think that he knows about Jack and that I have been sneaking out every night.   I don't answer him but instead look at him with panic in my eyes.

Gavin sighs; "Sometimes I wonder when you stopped telling me these things.. Elsa."  We both know when I stopped talking to him, the day I locked myself in and everyone else out.  Gavin saying my name brings a small smile to my lips. I am so used to everyone calling me Queen that sometimes it nice just hearing my own name. 

For a second I want to tell him everything about Jack, my dreams and even my fears but something stops me. A nagging feeling that its not safe, that I'm being watched. You must always trust your instincts as Queen, they could one day save your life, my Father once said. 

So I force I smile on my face and pat Gains arm. "Its nothing really. You worry too much Gavin," I say continuing onward.  Gavin doesn't bring it up again but instead babbles about the plans for the ball and what not. From anyone else I would be annoyed at the slightest  mention of the ball but from Gavin its just sweet that he wants to ease my worrying about it.

He says lots of chocolate will be there and surprises are in store for me.  At the word surprise my eyes go wide but he laughs it off saying it won't be too hectic. In which I don't believe him in the slightest. I even tell him so which earns me another laugh.

His laugh is nice and warm, putting all my worries at ease. But underneath my smiling I'm still deadly worried about Jack. He wouldn't have flown off the island would he have? That thought alone tugs at my heart strings. Without Jack I have nothing to look foreword to. Everyone here wants me to be a perfect Queen, Jack likes me for who I am. A free person who is locked up in her own mind. 

Gavin bows as he opens the door for me. "Good luck, milady."  I take a deep breath as I walk into the room, my mouth set in a thin pinched line. I am a brave Queen who will not bow to Lord Victors rules or anyone else's for that matter. 

The large table is familiar and no longer scary looking. The Duchess waves from across the table, a least I know I have one friend here. Lady Aries tilts her head to the side as Lord Victor whispers into her ear, lies all of it. I can see it in his beady eyes. The men from the southern isle are pouring over maps and letters, talking fast to each other.

I am a brave Queen, who will not be pushed around.

I sit down at the head of the table, looking at the council members, waiting for them to make the first move. A servant sets down lemon tea in front of me, two sugar cubes floating on top. "Thank you Maggie, " I say not taking my eyes off of the council. 

Lord Victor coughs, sending my attention on him. "My Queen we asked you to come here for we have news about the ball."  My shoulders relax, okay we aren't going to fight or argue, its only about that stupid ball. 

I fold my hands in front of me, waiting for Lord Victor to explain himself. He coughs again, looking mildly uncomfortable. Good, let him squirm in his seat like the disgusting bug he is, I don't mind. "Your Highness if I..." The Duchess interrupts him. "For goodness sakes Victor your taking too long. Your highness there are certain traditions you must follow because this is your first courting ball." 

I blink; "Traditions?"  This is news to me, I know many traditions from my kingdom but I have never heard of 'courting ball'  traditions.  "Yes. Have you read all the books I gave you?"  I gulp. The Duchess have me about five huge dusty books when they opened the letters from the people who are coming to my ball.  What with Jack dragging me off to the forest every night, not to mention dogging Anna's  questions about where I go, I haven't had the time.

I nod slowly. The Duchess rolls her eyes; "Well as you should probably know the hostess of the ball, that's you must make one dish that will be served. A dish that reflects who the host or hostess is and if they can cook."   Oh god.. not cooking, anything but cooking. If there's one thing I am horrible at, its cooking.  While Anna got to learn how to be a princes  first handed, I had to read on things like cooking or ballet. Never getting a tutor only what my parents could teach. 

I wince even at the thought of making my own dish. I hope I don't kill anyone from my dish of death.

"And tomorrow you will have your first dress fitting," Lady Aries says, watching my reaction. Dress fitting....  "You will of course be steered from the colour blue, no disrespect my Queen but we don't want the wrong message."   Lady Aries is blunt about it, not beating around the bush.  Lord Victor looks from Lady Aries, to me, back to Lady Aries.  I nod. "If that's it, I will take my leave."

I get up and walk to the door. My back straight and tall because my Mother always said, a straight back shows that you have confidence.  I reach for the silver door knob, almost there.

"One more thing milady," The Duchess says.  I sigh as turn around. The Duchess has her  little glasses on as she looks over a letter. "A certain Lord Raven is coming here early as in tonight." I rub my temples. I thought  was prepared for 'guests' to come but really I am not. "Make sure he is in the east wing of the palace, in view of the garden so he has something to look at. I will personally greet him tonight. Is that clear?" 

They all nod, a little surprised that I took charge so easily. "Good, now if you excuse me, I'm going to make my dish.."  I leave them with a shocked expression on all their faces.  How did I get wrangled into making food? I sigh as I make my way to the kitchen, I guess finding Jack is going to have to wait.