Chapter Thirty eight

** Elsa **

 The air around me reeks of old dead things with a hint of black licorice. I wrinkle my nose as my vision comes into focus. Thick black smoke covers the cave ground making shadows slip in and out of the darkness.  A faint sound of water dripping onto the ground can be heard. My heart speeds up as I try and move my hands. Shackles bind them up to two large stone pillars,  caged in some sort of iron.  I yank my chains a bit, they clink together with glee. Confusion and fear spreads through my body like wildfire.  What am I doing here?

No Elsa. You need to think. What's the last thing you remember. Suddenly I'm not a helpless girl but a wounded animal who is frantically trying to fight for its life. I rack through my brain, desperate for answers. I was at the wedding and then.. Suddenly its like I'm coming to an end of a long and dark tunnel, the light is my memories coming to me lightening quick.

Jack and I fighting on the mountain top, Gavin getting ripped to sheds right before my eyes; blood splattering everywhere. Screaming..so much screaming, is it me or everyone else? A black shadow emerges from Gavin, the very being makes the ground quake in fear and remorse. I am rooted to very ground I stand. I can hear Jack calling my name, echoing in the back of my mind but my eyes are on the hideous creature in front of me. In a quick flash he has me in his arms but I am paralyzed by fear. I can hear Anna screaming name on the top of her lungs but all I can do is whimper in response.  The yellow eyes stare into mine and then, darkness.

My whole body is shaking. Although I now know who is behind all of this, my mind itself keeps blocking out the name. Like it refuses to even expect it. But I do...I know now and i won't act like a scared little child when it comes to this. Pitch. Pitch is here on the island and its all my fault.  I should have known the moment Jack described Pitch to me. Now its my fault that Gavin is dead....that Jack was possessed by Pitch that day on the mountain, that my people are in a panic. Its all my fault because I should have saw the signs..and now here I am. Locked away in a cave somewhere, waiting to get killed by a madman.

I hang my head in defeat. But why would Pitch go to such lengths to get me? A dark menacing laugh echos off the walls. My head snaps up; out of the billowing  black smoke, rises Pitch. His robes cascade on the floor like black winding river. Power pulses from this man like a heart beat, his presence demands you to look at him. To fear and love him at the same time and I hate it.

I give him a murderous stare. All he does his laugh with glee;" It is my honor to meet you, Queen Elsa." I can tell he is mocking me for he gives me a huge bow. I stiffen as he gives me a cocky smirk. He comes closer to me, his yellow eyes gleaming with emotions I can't read. "I must say Elsa, you look much better chained up then you ever did free."  Bile forms in my mouth but I don't say anything. Just sit in angry silence, hating Pitch and hating myself for letting Pitch so easily capture me.  

He stands in front of me, his yellow eyes twinkling. "Now, now. Don't give me that face," He says holding my chin between his fingers. Pitch voice is filled with fondness and mockery. It makes me sick. "Jack is coming for me." I state, never breaking eye contact with Pitch. "Is he now?"  I nod dumbly. Pitch laughs, a hearty laugh that sounds like glass against a chalk bored. I shiver. "Jack, save you? Don't make me laugh. He practically handed you over to me," He says throwing his hands in the air.  "No, Jack would never do that! Jack...Jack.."   "What? Loves you? Who are you kidding Elsa."  My heart sinks into my stomach.  "Look at yourself. A monster, finally chained up. Jack never loved you, he pitted you! Jack knows what a spineless Queen you are. I mean...you couldn't even protect Anna."  

He's right I couldn't protect Anna...my kingdom or myself. I'm useless. Spineless...alone. "But you don't have to be alone Elsa. I know what its like to be cast out...alone and not believed in. Jack lied to you. I'm not the bad guy, he is, they are. Everyone who hurt you, cast you out and  treated you like an object. I would never, ever treat you horribly," He has stopped pacing now and is in front of me again, looking into my eyes.  "You are a Queen, regal and beautiful. Destined to rule with power and greatness. I can help you. What goes better together then fear and ice? We can rule everyone, show them how great we really are. You will never have to be alone again Elsa."

Before I can even process what Pitch was saying, he is kissing me. His lips taste like poison and pleasure all wrapped up into something dark and mysterious. Unlike Jack who kisses me who love and passion, Pitch is hungry like a wolf. I try and get away from it but he holds my head close to his. When we finish he has a bright smile on his face; "As I said before...Fear and ice-" I spit in his face. Right under his left eye. I give him a dark smile. If he thinks I'm giving up on Jack so easily, think again.

I expect Pitch to scream at me, to bellow and holler at me. But he surprises me by laughing and casually wiping away the spit as if it was nothing more then a pesky bug. "You still have some fight within you? How quaint.  It will be fun breaking the rest of your spirit."  Pitch kisses the top of my forehead as if I'm about to go to bed. "Now sleep..." He whispers in my ear. My eyes want to shut but I fight it off as best as I can. This is another one of Pitch's tricks, I must fight it.

"You...you killed Gavin.." I say lazily. I can feel myself slowly slipping away. To go to sleep would be a break from a long and tiring war with life but I need to keep fighting. Pitch strokes my hair lovingly. I want nothing more then to break thees chains and freeze him into dust or spit onto his chiseled face once more but I can't seem to move at all.  "Oh my love, how can you kill someone, who is already dead?"

I can't ask him what he means because I am already falling asleep, slowly and then all at once.