Chapter twenty five

**Jack**

I burst through the tree line just in time to see Elsa fall into the river. Time seems to stand still. Elsa's blonde hair is coming lose from her braid, her  arms stretched out and trying to reach for the reins of her horse. I scream her name as the water pulls her under. I don't hesitate as I toss my staff aside and plunge into the icy water, after Elsa.

**Crack splash**  I am under the ice.  I can hear someone screaming my name. "JACK!! JACK!!"  I try and fight it but where can I go? Its so dark and cold that the water has not trouble seizing control of my lungs. I claw the ice above me... I need air.. air. But its to no avail.  Then I am slipping away into nothing. The moon shines on me and... I no longer feel so afraid.

I shake the memory out of my head and instead try and focus on the water around me. I try and not think about Elsa dying. The thought of her being swept up in a fast current, forever from my grasp. I don't want her to die like I did. Alone and afraid, with only the silent moon for company.   Its so dark and murky in the river. Huge weeds reach up towards the surface, trying to get the little sunlight that is shining down upon them. Creatures are probably prowling around as well but they don't intend to save Elsa.

 In the corner of my eye I see something white. I turn around and sure enough, I see Elsa. Sinking to the bottom of the river, her blue eyes are vacant, her mind is slipping away to some far off place. My heart speeds up as  I swim over. Thoughts of my death race through my head as I grab her arms.  Her eyes flash for a moment before they roll back into her skull.  I grab Elsa by her waist and swim upward, towards the surface, towards air.  My only thoughts are keeping Elsa alive. I will kill anything that gets in my way.

I break the surface, drinking in the fresh air. The sun warms my cold as ice skin, bringing a smirk to myself. I have beaten death again, two points for Jack, zero for death.    I swim towards the river bank, keeping Elsa's head above water. Her face is slumped against mine, I can feel her hot breath on my cheek, which is a good sign.  I crawl onto the muddy bank, dragging Elsa up with me.  I cough and sputter. "Were alive.." I say laying down looking up at the sky.  I look over, Elsa's eyes are open but there hazy and confused. "ELSA!" Her sister Anna screams as she runs over and crouches near her sister. I get up and stick my hands in my pockets, feeling like I can't do anything to help. Anna cradles Elsa in her arms. Singing a song very softly. "Do you wanna build a snowman.."

It seems an odd choice for me, but it looks like its bringing Anna comfort. So I don't say anything. Lord Raven and some weirdo on a reindeer are close behind. Lord Raven crouches beside her, tisking under his breath. At that moment I have never hated someone so much. Here Elsa is, struggling to breath as her sister is cradling her unmoving body in her arms and all this guy can do is smirk and tisk? If I wasn't invisible, I might just clobber him. But it looks like the weird guy with the reindeer might do it before I can.

He looks angry, his hands shake and he looks like he just might punch Lord Rave across his stupid chiseled  face.  Instead he takes a deep breath and kneels beside Anna. "Anna... Anna we have to move her. We need to get her some where safe."  Anna shakes her head and just cries into Elsa's clothes.  He tries  again putting more force into his voice; "Anna if we don't move her-" 

"Its my fault Kristoff. I knew that she was afraid of horses but I pushed her into doing it. Because I wanted her to.. to get to know Lord Raven... and now.  Oh my poor Elsa.." Anna's voice breaks at the end.   I close my eyes and bite my bottom lip. Struggling not to cry out Elsa's name as well. Trying not to remember how lifeless her body felt when I dragged her on the muddy bank.  Its my fault... I should have reacted faster.   I should have seen the fear in her eyes when I lifted her up on the horse. The way she flinched when I put her on the saddle.