Chapter Thirteen

**Jack**

I slump against the door way. Its not like I was going to watch her change or anything. But seeing Elsa stumble over her words and her face going beet red was totally worth it.  Its not often that I have seen her look embarrassed. Its was so cute that I couldn't help but push her, just a bit. Perhaps I sounded like an asshole but its not like I'm am a pervert and actually wanted to see her getting changed. 

I bang my head a little against her door. Did I sound like an asshole... oh no. I mean its not like I meant it. "Stupid, stupid, stupid," I say, face palming myself.  I don't want to be that one guy that sounds cocky and rude. I don't want to push Elsa to do things that she doesn't want to do. If anything I want her to open up to me, something she has never done for anyone else. From what Elsa told me Anna and everyone else still expects her to be the perfect Queen.  I don't know if I should be anger or sad at that thought.  Elsa has already isolated herself enough, shouldn't it be time that people just accept the way she is. 

I think she is perfect the way she is, ice wielding powers and all. The way she purses her lips when she is thinking or when she looks right at you when you are taking to her. Simple things like playing with her hair  just makes me smile like a complete moron. Elsa is like the very pond that I emerged from.  It pulled me down at first, taking my every last breath.  But this time, I'm not fighting it.   If anything I am eager to see what happens next.  Because just like that pond, Elsa takes my breath away. 

A sudden light at the end of the hallway makes me tense up. But it just passes away into the next hallway. Probably a guard doing nightly rounds or something.  Ever since that flower incident, I have been on edge. Like someone might come out of no where and snatch Elsa away. Even now it feels like someone is watching me.... and I don't like it.

I can't stay still, my legs jiggle up and down. What the hell is taking Elsa so long? How long does it take a girl to get changed? Apparently all night or at least it feels like it.  I hope she's okay... I roll my eyes. For goodness sakes Jack your just like a fricken puppy waiting for its master to call it inside. But is that such a bad thing. Yes, because that shows that I'm desperate. Ew.

I jump up and pace the hallway. Knock and risk seeming like a stupid pervert. Not knock and seem like I don't care. Knock, don't knock, knock, don't knock. "UGHHHH!" I say rubbing my hair this way and that.  Why is this so hard?   Never in my three hundred years have I been so uncertain about a person. Usually I have to admit, I don't care.  If no one sees me, if no one believes me then what's the point of caring. No reason to care if no one cares about me.

I hear a flopping sound coming from Elsa's room. Is she okay? Because that sound did not sound natural. Knock, don't knock, knock, don't knock. I take a deep breath and squeeze  my eyes shut, opening the door slowly. "NOT A PERVERT, NOT A PERVERT! I'M JUST MAKING SURE YOUR ALIVE!" I say, running my words together. I wait for Elsa to chuck a icy snowball at my face or something but nothing comes. I open my eyes. No anger looking Elsa frowning up at me. Just a empty room. Her window is open, making her curtains flap in the moonlight. Its a nice kind of cold in here. The kind of cold  that feels crisp and light in your lungs.  A desk, some books a few paintings but no Elsa.

My eyes go to her large bed where a lump of something is laying down. Curious I fly over. Sure enough Elsa is sleeping away, hugging her blankets tight. Little snores come from her mouth, making her bangs waver a bit. I chuckle.  Here I was worried sick that some sort of bugler came and tied her up or something but turns out she was sleeping away like an old lady. Partly my fault from making her stay up late for the past three days. She is Queen after all so I suspect she has Queenly duties. Man, I am an asshole. Selfish... so very selfish.

 The smell of death comes blowing in from the window. The smell is so familiar, a distant memory that I have longed forgotten.  Upon that smell, Elsa's face scrunches up and a whimper escapes her lips. My face whips over to her. The whimper sounds like she's in some sort of pain. I watch with round eyes and she continues to whimper and toss and turn. Snow swirling's around us, not the beautiful snow that I have come to know that she creates but a wild, scared sort of snow. It whips at my face and makes it sting.  Crystal ice tears fall from her closed eyes, making her face sparkle and glisten.  I touch one that falls from her face.  Its wet and yet frozen at the same time.  I ball up my fists. What could she be dreaming about to cause this sort of reaction? Is she remembering her time locked away or is something more evil and sinister at work here. 

I wipe away the flowing tears down her cheeks. As long as I'm here I will never, ever make her cry. I will protect her and give her everything she needs. I lean in and kiss her forehead. I swear it.

The swirling snow ceases and just falls to the ground. Her whimpering stops and is replaced with contempt snores once again.   Something black runs out of the corner of my eye. I whip around only to see the same old open window, this time the moon hidden behind black clouds.  I close the window for Elsa, making sure its locked tight. 

I creep out of the room and close the door behind me, slumping against the door once again.  Whatever is prowling tonight will have to get through me to even get close to Elsa. I will protect her at whatever cost.  I find myself thinking of her bright blue eyes and again I let the pond suck me under. The pond that is Elsa.