Chapter eighteen

**Jack**

The way he looked at her... it was disgusting. It made my insides boil and skin crawl. How dare he look at her like that.  The love in his eyes were clear as day, although Elsa didn't take much notice of it.  He even protected her when  I couldn't. Caught her... swept her up in his arms.

No one touches her like that.

I pace back and fourth in the woodland area where Elsa and I first met. Sun glistens off of the morning dew and a slight ocean breeze comes from the north.  It should be relaxing me but instead it just fuels my rage. Gavin knows Elsa more so than I know her and it pisses me off.

Perhaps I'm acting like a over protective  moron. But wouldn't you if the only person who has ever come close to connecting to you, might be taken away without a moments hesitation? Gavin, Gavin, Gavin. The more I think about that stupid guy and the way he gripped on to Elsa, the more I feel angry, at myself for not knocking him out and at Elsa for thanking him. The look she gave me when I left was one of disgust and disappointment. 

I hate disappointing her, more than I hate Gavin and Lord Victor put together.

I slam my staff on the ground, sending sharp ice all over the clearing. The trees freeze  all jagged and sharp, the ground is icy. Huge angry snowflakes swirl from above, the wind cuts my face.  The power is only an illusion.  Its only powered by fear.

I pant breathlessly as I grip my staff.

I'm afraid... I'm afraid to lose Elsa and be alone for the next three hundred more years.  Elsa means more to me then she knows. I'm afraid... and alone, just like the day when I emerged from the pond. I don't think I could ever go back to the way things were. When I was just wandering the earth, with no purpose or real understanding of what I am or why I'm here.  The guardians will never understand because they have always known who they are and what there meant for. 

 I try and control my breathing but it seems I can't catch my breath.  Its like someone has grabbed my throat, cutting off my wind pipe and air flow. I drop my staff and claw at my throat. I panic. Its just like when I drowned, the feeling of helplessness, knowing your going to die and not being able to do anything.  I kneel on the ground, trying to catch my breath. I remind my self to breath but apparently my body doesn't like following orders, nothing new.

The water sucks me under. I don't try and fight it because I know its the end.  I can hear someone screaming my name but I don't try and answer. Its not like they would hear me anyway.  My clothes are heavy, dragging me closer to the bottom.  I reach towards the light, then its nothing but darkness. Cold, hard darkness that shows no escape.  I'm alone and afraid... This is the end, the end of my life.

The ground around me turns black and grainy, the trees leaves wilt and die. I urge myself to relax. I take deep breaths, calming my mind and body but the image of my death won't leave my mind.  A vile smell is in the air, so familiar and yet I can't put my finger on it. 

A fast black shadow runs out of my view. Something is not right, I know what it means and yet my mind tries to grasp the meaning of the black grainy sand that so much resembles the prim rose Elsa almost touched.  

I rise slowly, looking at the clearing with shock. Its not the same woodland area as before. The trees are dead and wirthed like they haven't been watered in weeks. The grass is black and grainy looking. The only spot that is untouched it the place that I stand.    This... this is a sign. But for what? What does this mean?  Over head clouds form, blowing the sunny day away. I frown. A sign and yet I'm not sure what it means. 

A low old voice whispers in my ear, so soft that I almost miss it. "Pitch."   The name recovers memory after memory, there hazy at first but then they become clearer. Pitch... yes he almost ended the guardians all together, we were the last stand between him and the children of the world. We defeated him though, sending him back into the darkness.  

Pitch... Pitch is back?

But why now? Why here? My mind rapidly searches for something he could possible want or need. Unless he has come for revenge.. strike down the guardians one by one. I shiver. I need to warn them and yet..

My gaze turns towards the castle where Elsa is. Pitch could easily hurt Elsa to get to me. No, I would sooner lay down my own life then see Elsa get hurt and caught up in my war.  But how to warn my friends... 

An idea pops into my head. I twist and turn my hands reveling a big snowflake. I whisper into it; "Keep your eyes open. Pitch has returned."  I turn it into a snowball and trough it towards the horizon. My heart feels heavy. I should be the one delivering the message, telling them myself that trouble has come up.

But I know the guardians have each other to help and protect them selves. Elsa has no one.   fly up and watch as my spot immediately turns black.  Whatever Pitch is planning, I am ready for.

No one is going to touch Elsa. I won't hesitate the end Pitch right there and then. As I fly towards the castle, I leave behind my jealously for Gavin. Protect Elsa first, beat up Gavin later.