Chapter 23

It's surprisingly easy to get a marriage license. You pay 35 dollars and you sign a few documents.

"So..." The court clerk, June, says "when's the date?"

"Today." Lana beams at June, she practically shaking with barely contained excitement.

"Well, this says you have to wait a minimum of 24 hours to get married." June explains but she's got a smile on her face.

"We'd very much like to be Mrs. And Mr. Bell today, please." Lana leans across the counter "We've already gotten dressed and his grandma is getting an ordained minister and she bringing my bouquet."

June chuckles, everyone smiles when Lana is around.

"I noticed." June eyes Lana's robe "can't let the groom see the dress?" she guesses, lana nods and smiles at me "See, she knows."

"Whatever you say, Lana." I agree.

"So, can they get married today?" Shaina asks, joining Lana. June grabs another paper and jots a few things down.

"This is a judicial waiver, sign the bottom and we'll get you two married today." June handed Lana a pen. Lana screams and signs her name all big and loopy and hands me the pen. I sign mine with less flare and pass it back to her.

Lana watches the paper as June's hand closes around it and this is it. Lana is really going to be mine.