Chapter 11

Lana left before I woke up, I'm kind of glad she did, I don't know if I want her to remember yesterday's conversation or not. Lana alone I can't see it. Lana isn't the kind of person that is alone, she's too kind, too loving. I unroll the piece of magazine with the number on it from my pocket and stare at it. I know it's the number she was afraid to answer. I don't think I could ever forget something that makes Lana so still.

"Call it." I order myself, a piece of paper shouldn't feel so heavy. I grab my phone and type in the first three numbers before my thumb takes on a mind of it's own and deletes those numbers and dials Alex's instead.

"What's up? "Alex answers almost immediately.

"I got the number that Lana won't answer." I tell him straight off.

"So, call it." Alex doesn't hesitate, he knows how he'd handle it if it was Shaina. I know how he'd handle it if he had the number.

"Do you want me to call it?" he offers.

"No, I can do it I just..." I stare at the paper.

"There's a guy that literally makes your girl pass out from anxiety at the thought of him." Alex says firmly "we need to handle this whether she wants us to or not."

"What if she's not ready for me to know?" I ask, "what if she just needs more time to tell me."

"Theo." Alex interrupts, his voice severe. "Stop with the what ifs, the are's are; he's scaring Lana, he's making her faint, he's making her keep secrets from you." Alex ticks everything off "if you don't want to call, that's fine, but give me the number so I can." Alex is the kind of friend you desperately want in school and in the club and anytime you need someone to back you up.

"I can do it." I tell him "I just don't want her to get upset again, I hate it when she's upset."

"She knows that, it's why she tries to pretend she's okay." Alex says the thing I was afraid to hear.

"She doesn't think I can protect her, does she?" I look down at my hand. it still aches.

"She just knows you don't like it when she's upset." Alex says, "call that number and see who's doing this to her."

"Yeah..." I shove my hair back "yeah, I'll call now, thanks, Alex."

"No problem man, tell me what happens." Alex hangs up first and I stand there for the longest three minutes of my life just staring at my own phone.

"Call." I order myself. My thumb hits the first number and then the second. Finally, the full number is displayed on my phone. All I have to do is hit call he's scaring Lana

A familiar ringtone makes me freeze, my thumb just over the call button. "Lana forgot her phone." I pull the blanket aside and reveal her IPhone. It's just a number on the screen, it's not the same number but it's got the same area code and the same first three digits. I grab her phone. What are you doing, she'll get so upset if you answer her phone without telling her. My subconscious yells at me but my thumb hits the answer button anyway. I'll tell her later I promise as I bring the phone to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Who's this?" it's a woman's voice.

"Theo." I struggle to keep my voice clear. "Lana forgot her phone."

"Where is Lana?" the woman demands.

"Working, she'll be back later." I stop myself before I can tell her a time, maybe Lana doesn't want to talk to this persona either.