Chapter 3

"No, I told you no already." Lana hisses at the phone, I can see her through the window in the living room.

"Absolutely not, you've made your choices and I've made mine and that's the end of it." Her voice quivers, she's angry and sad, her voice always does that when she's trying to be strong about things she doesn't want to be strong about.

"I'm happy." She says more firmly.

Like last year when her dog had to be put down. She didn't want to cry, she even quoted something from her favorite book. Someone about not saying goodbye because goodbyes meant forgetting. Something like that, I'm not good at quoting things like she is. I'm more of a gist kind of guy,

"That's the end of it, Owen, don't call me again." She lets her hand drop her phone away from her ear and she sits on the stoops of the apartment building. She hangs her head between her legs, the brim of her pale pinkish fedora hitting her knees. I hate seeing her sad.

I step out and sit beside her on the steps. She doesn't even react, her eyes are closed, there's a single tear slipping down her cheek. I use my index finger to wipe it away and she jumps. Her eyes filled with her surprise.

"Theo." She sighs and settles into an easy smile. The smile she reserves for me. "you gave me a fright." She pats her hand over her heart. I love the way she says things

"You okay?" I ask wrapping my arm around her, she leans into me and nods.

"Yeah, totally. Everything is good." She smiles and pushes herself to her feet. Her eyes are a little red but she puts on a good face.

"Who was on the phone?" I ask, she doesn't usually keep things from me.

"Oh nobody?" She waves it off and offers me her hand.

"Lana." I shake my head at her. "You're a terrible liar."

She bites her lips and tilts her head and her eyes travel up to the sky for a moment.

"No one important." She amends bringing her eyes back to mine.

"Now we could keep talking about this." She says, "or we could go out and take a walk in the park, the same park we met in and..." she takes both of my hands and tugs me to my feet. "run into each other again."

"Are you asking to fall in love again?" I ask her. She bites her lips and looks to the sky again.

"A refresher is always good." She giggles and tugs me forward.

The park is nice, not too crowded, not too cold. Lana bounce steps beside me, her arms locked around mine, her hair swinging behind her in her hastily thrown up pony tail. She hums a song I don't recognize as her eyes trail over the world.

"It's by Niall." She says her eyes resting on min.

"oh yeah?" I ask.

She nods "yeah, it's new; it's called Flicker." She twirls out in front of me and starts to sing out loud. I can't even focus on the words as she takes me hands and makes them dance. She holds my arm up and spins under it and she sways and she smiles and god I love her soul.

"Dance with her!" A man's voice calls out and people cheer and I let her lead me across the pavement as I take her in my arms. The crowd cheers again as I pull her close and she rests her head on my shoulder.

"I love you." I whisper to her.

"I love you." She hugs me close and pulls her back just enough for a kiss.