Chapter 13

Later that day, George, Dravon's butler, now dressed as a chauffeur, leaned by a spotless blue car and waited for Quinn. Upon spotting her, he strode around to the backside of the car and opened the door for her. She wanted her freedom desperately back. Dravon had continuously sent his chauffeur every day after school to pick her up. She needed some time alone, to explore the town a bit, to know more about the residents and whether they knew anything which involved her mother. He was behaving like Byron Richards recently, always keeping a track on what she was doing and where he was going. She sighed softly and run a hand through her hair to fix her big wavy curls. She would change that, she promised herself. A formal greeting was shared when she got in and the door was slammed shut.

***

Jade rushed, her pink heels clacked on the paving stones as she made a mental note that she needed this therapy and fast. She walked in the Woods' pizzeria and rolled her eyes in impatience. More crowd, but all familiar faces, she inspected. Damn it, she just needed a quiet place to sort her mood, to stuff her mouth with good food, trying not to think about Dravon and Quinn. Lately, her mind had wandered a lot on whether Quinn's stay there was necessary. She knew how Dravon loved solitude. To actually have a guest in his mansion was still unreal for her...even if that guest happened to be Quinn Richards, the savior and one and only Campbell witch left.

She was worried now after having witnessed the raw desire in Dravon's blue eyes each time he saw Quinn. She silently hoped they did not have feelings for each other. She didn't want that to happen...not now, not ever.

The smell of cheese and Italian seasoning filled the air in the pizzeria while she stopped in the doorway as she glanced around hopelessly, trying to find a quiet seat among the busy mob.

Then she noticed Shade Woods helping the waiters with their orders. She waved at him eagerly and he waved back with a warm smile, then beckoned her to join him which she did happily and immediately. Shade guided her to his dad private cabin located on the first floor. It was her first time stepping in Shade's dad private lair. No one had access there except his personal staff and his only rebel son.

The neat cabin was painted in tropical shades of light green and white, stuffed with perfect metal furniture. Jade took a seat facing Shade as he sat in his dad's seat behind his small desk. She let her hazel eyes travel to an old photograph displayed on the desk. It showed a young Shade with his strict dad and smiling mother. They looked so happy together but since his mom's death, neither Shade nor his father had been able to fully move on in their lives. Shade has always managed to keep his feelings well hidden, acting indifferent nowadays. But she knew he was still affected by her death. Even she had lost her mom in a car accident two years ago but she had somewhat managed to tuck away her feelings, instead relying on the infinity members to make her feel secure and loved.

When the waiter came with a large delicious pepperoni pizza with hot chocolate, she couldn't help but smile at him, her gratitude reaching her eyes.

"You remembered, Shade." He winked at her and smiled.

"Well, whenever you have a bad mood, you always eat junk food, especially pizza." Jade took a bite of her slice hungrily.

"Shade, this must be the best feeling in the world..." She watched him stare at her in reflection. "C'mon, eat with me," she insisted.

"Jade, what's wrong?"

"Nothing." She took another bite, then sipped her hot chocolate in silence.

"Is it Dravon and Quinn?," he urged.

"Why does everyone keeps asking me that?" She frowned at him.

"Isn't it obvious?" Jade decided to change the topic before she showed any sign of her true hidden feelings.