Chapter 2

Quinn sat on the edge of the bed

Quinn sat on the edge of the bed. It has been less than twenty-four hours she's been here and she wished she never came to Blue Haven. She felt homesick, lost and abandoned among strangers. But she must prove her dad wrong. She can very well stay in a small town without any fuss.

How I miss you mom! If only you were here, everything would have been the same again. But nothing will ever be the same again, she realized - arms crossed.

She must at all cost avenge the death of the mother however impossible it may seem. Whoever did this had no right to snatch her mother from her.

She welcomed the overpowering anger filling her restless mind. The feeling was so intense that she felt a burning sensation on her skin. She examined her right arm closely. A small first-degree burn was present, tanning her sensitive skin on the spot her long fingers made contact.

She did not even want to understand how she got burnt. Strange things were happening here but why and how? She dismissed those confusing thoughts. Instead, she glanced at the old dark pendulum clock hanging on her cream wall. Five-fifteen, still too early for breakfast. She stood by the over-sized window facing the rich vast woods . It wasn't that creepy in daylight...just silent and wild.

A speck of clouds had gathered in the sky. It was gloomy enough to make Quinn have seconds thoughts. She just wanted a normal day at Rossmore High School. But this was already a bad start. It felt more like a rising pale dawn and nothing like a small ray of sunshine to enlighten her first day.

She dressed up, taking all her time curling her long hair. She was not in a mood to confront her grand-aunt yet but went downstairs anyway.

Sitting in an armchair was her grand-aunt, deeply engrossed in an Agatha Christie novel. The tapping of her red heels caused her to look in her direction. Her gaze slowly assessed her whole body in much the same way a criminal would examine his victim after assaulting and stared up again.

"Good morning granny," Quinn said, flashing a wide smile.

"Is that what you're wearing for your first day?" the not bothering to smile back grand-aunt questionned.

"Yes," she replied. She examined closely the crimson top and black mini skirt she wore. It seemed fine, knowing this attire emphasized every curve of her body, the red color giving her a bold confident appearance to deal with her very first day at Rossmore High School. Surely her grand-aunt was not imagining her dressed in the 19th century for High School.

"You resemble more like a bitch and less than a student. Go back and change," she barked.

"I'm not and by the way granny, you must stop being so judgmental!" Quinn fumed back.

Not bothering to see the reaction of her grand-aunt, Quinn made long strides, opened the front door with difficulty and walked out. A cold breeze slapped her face, refreshing her mind. The neighbors were giving her a friendly smile as she passed by, clearly all intrigued to know who she was. Hopefully the town seemed normal in broad daylight.