Chapter 17: The Beginning of Trials

Start from the beginning

"wa'alaikumussalam, yi hakuri Hajiya na kira ki da asuba, Zainab ce tayi kira nan wurin Tahira, kuma ga dukkan alamu ba lahiya gare ta ba, muna dai hanyan gida, kawai da na so ne na sanar da ke tun wuri"

"Subahaballah, to bari in fito, idan kun isa dan Allah a sanar da ni halin da take ci"

When they reached the gateman was trying to be stubborn, Tahira's mother explained the situation to him and when they reached the door it was locked from the inside. The problem would be getting into the house from outside without anyone to open the door.

They kept banging the door but that was useless, Tahira circled the house banging the windows but that too was useless. Hajiya Aisha came and found them all worried and stranded, the mai guard  confirmed that Zainab was inside as he never saw her leave the house.

"Ina mai gidan ne wai?"  Hajiya Aisha kept asking, she furiously picked up her phone and called his mother enquiring where Abdulzahir  was but his location was unknown, Tahira called Abdulmaleek, he woke and picked up "Tahira Muhammad, you're calling this early, you dreamt of me?"

"Abdulmaleek I'm sorry but again another crisis has brought me to your door,  Zainab is sick and locked inside, its like she's unable to reach the door to open it and your friend is nowhere to be found, he might have a key."

Abdulmaleek jumped from his bed "try going round the back door there should be a key under wani macecen gen haka, I'm on my way"   he assured her, he was about to hang up when he remembered one key information she might need "Tahira it opens the kitchen, if she locked the inside door from the kitchen to the corridor you might have to break it, but i'll be there soon"

Tahira immediately informed her mom and Hajiya Aisha and they rushed to find luckily it was exactly where he said it'll be but it took them a while to find it.

The door leading to the corridor was luckily unlocked, they rushed to her room only to find her unconscious by the bedside and her carpet terribly stained with vomit, her room was terribly scattered. They carried her almost lifelessly straight to the car and drove her to the hospital.

His phone has been ringing since around 7am, he was enjoying his sleep and a call from his mother was not about to interfere with that, silencing the phone he continued sleep. Around 10am he woke up only to find missed calls from all angles,  his mom, Alhaji, Anty Salaha, Abdulmaleek, Abbatii. What in God's name has happened, he looked around and Fateema was not in bed. He hurried and put on his Jallabiya and called Abdulmaleek "Hello, how far meke faruwa ne haka?"

"Ka zo Garkuwa, Zainab was found unconscious in her room, she's pregnant, did you know?"

He was dazed to the point he was totally and absolutely speechless. When Abdulmaleek didn't get an answer he continued "anyway her situation is stabilized but it seems she had been over stressed, she's still being observed, an sa ma ta drip, you better come up with a good excuse because har Alhaji sai da aka sanar ma sa"

Abdulzahir wasn't phased by Zainab's condition, he was more phase by the fact that she now carries his child. His child  he felt a stable rush of excitement and he rushed to leave for Garkuwa.

He rushed through the entrance like a mad man, wearing Jallabiya and no shoes,  he couldn't find them in time so he left without them. He was directed to where Zainab was being held, he opened the door and came face to face with Hajiya Aisha's very angry expression. He felt ashamed and embarrassed, he looked down and greeted her "ina kwana Hajiya?"

Her face expressed her anger vividly and as expected her anger was obviously towards him "Lafiya lau" then she stood up and walked out of the ward.

He sat by Zainab's bed,  she looked so peaceful and beautiful, he wondered what their child would look like. For a moment he reflected on the things that transpired between them in the past few months. Zainab has been nothing but patient, if only he could love her. He tried but he still couldn't, she was nothing like what he wanted. she was too soft, plain and predictable. It's like she had no imagination at all, everything was just boring all the time.

It was like she had no opinion of herself at all, very narrow interests, and she completely lacked ambition. Nothing about her interested him, she would wear big pajamas to sleep as if he told her he was interested in seeing her cloaked.

Abdulzahir knew he had no excuse for how he treated her, but in his defense he felt he at least tried to make it work, till he grew bored. Combine that with how he already missed Fateema, you'd have one unstable man in need of air.

Fateema on the other hand, spontaneous, wild, never condole a dull moment. She had her issues but she kept him happy and she managed to do that for 15 years. He had known her since she was 12 and he watched her grow into the woman of his dreams.

Zainab opened her eyes lightly and found Abdulzahir looking directly at her, it took her a moment to realize he wasn't really looking at her, his mind was completely somewhere else. Her heart pace quickened with excitement, he looked completely disoriented but she was happy seeing him by her side after all this time.