The Good Giant

Three days later, mid-afternoon found eleven warriors walking into the small town of Dunston Hill. They wore matching blue cotton shirts and tan pants. It was hard to mistake the queen consort for anyone else. A few residents ran to get the town constable and the mayor.

Spotting a tavern, the group entered. Several occupied tables suddenly were no longer occupied as the patrons quickly stood to offer their seats. The patrons of the tavern were delighted that royalty was in their midst, yet were too afraid to approach. They all knew that Tanaya had been a member of the elite Queen's Guard, then the more elite Royal Guard. This was the woman who was said to literally tear off a man's head with her bare hands and suck out his still-warm brain. The others with her were probably just as kill-crazy. She was also the queen's wife.

Unbidden, the tavern owner and barmaid brought out mugs of beer for the thirsty travelers who drained them rapidly, politely asking for more. A few minutes later, the tables were laden with food, mostly roast ham and steamed vegetables. The Blood Shadows had eaten meat during their travels, but it had been unseasoned things like rabbit, squirrel, fish, or some other small animal. A lot of berries and nuts, a few fruits. Now, they had a real meal set before them. They ate ravenously.

A commotion at the door made all of the Blood Shadows turn their heads, hands sliding into their sleeves, ready to draw their daggers.

"Stand down," a low-voiced Tanaya said. "I've got this one."

An elegantly dressed blonde bulled through the throng outside, bolted through the door and leapt at Tanaya. The warrioress was out of her seat as soon as the woman breached the door. She neatly caught her youngest sister, Tabria, hugging her fiercely and spinning her around.

"Tanaya!" enthused the woman, as she was set gently back on the floor. "Mom and Dad will be thrilled to see you! I'm so glad you're back! I see you've met my husband, Deven!" She pointed to a man who had given up his seat.

"We didn't meet formally, he just bolted out of the chair and ran over to the wall." Tanaya turned, took two long steps and hugged the man. "A pleasure, Deven. If she gives you any trouble, let me know."

Introductions were made all around, Tanaya introducing her Blood Shadows, Tabria doing likewise with the locals. The ice was broken, conversations beginning, glasses clinking together.

"Pardon me, Your Highness," said a female voice behind her. Tanaya turned to a short plump woman, wearing a beige cotton dress with a leather vest. "I'm Emma Jia, mayor of Dunston Hill." She extended her hand for Tanaya to shake.

"The pleasure is mine, Your Honor," replied Tanaya, turning on her social skills. "I grew up in Dunston Greave. I believe your son, Isaias, was a class ahead of me in school."

"Isaias is now a lieutenant with the Regular Military," smiled the mayor. "He's applying for the Queen's Guard at the next posting."

"He will make a fine addition to the Guard. I've seen him in action. He certainly has the right spirit."

In truth, Isaias Jia was a bully and a friend of Renton Bask, the boy Tanaya had beaten senseless in defense of a girl, several years ago. Granted, a few years in the military could change a person, but Tanaya had her doubts that Isaias' paperwork would be given even passing thought. Her position as Queen Consort prevented her intervention in processing his application.

"Highness, will you be staying with us for a while?" asked the mayor, chewing her lower lip.

"No, ma'am," answered Tanaya, continuing, "we are needed elsewhere. We're just here to speak with a mage. We'll be moving along to Dunston Greave for the evening. Does this town need anything? Are the crops producing as they should?"