The Letter

They thundered into town at full gallop, trailed by an immense cloud of dust. The pedestrians on either side of the street involuntarily turned sideways and pressed their backs against buildings as the warriors blew past. A few old-time ex-military members took note of the formation: that one was reserved for battle. The squad was made all the more terrifying by the clanking of the armored troops astride huge horses, the sounds echoing down side streets and reverberating from storefronts.

The town hall sat at the end of this main street, a fairly large park directly in front of it. It might actually be pretty if Tanaya were to take the time to look. She and the rest of the squad were busy letting their horse's hooves leave deep impressions in the carefully landscaped grass. Most traffic skirted the edge of the park and stayed on the cobblestones. The Royal Guard went straight across, trampling flower beds and bushes as they rapidly closed the distance to the town hall.

The four watchmen at the front doors of the building shifted nervously as ten battle ready guardsmen seated atop enormous Percherons bore down on them. They showed no signs of stopping before they slammed into the closed doors. The horses, as one, suddenly dropped into a canter, throwing their heads, snorting and blowing. The enormous female in the lead brought her horse to a halt at the bottom of the three steps leading up to the doors. She climbed down, motioning with her head in the direction of a small pond. The huge Percheron obediently wandered over to drink, and graze on the flowers which grew alongside. The other warriors did likewise. The groundsman would not be happy.

Tanaya took a giant step and was suddenly standing before the watchmen, glaring down at them.

"I say this once," her intense voice ringing loud and clear through her lowered faceplate, "Mayor Westerfield's office. Now."

"Wh-wh-what is your business, Officer?" asked the watchman in Tanaya's sights, just doing his duty. Her armored fist shot out, catching him in the chest and shoving him roughly against the stone wall. He crumpled. Tanaya turned to the next person in line.

"This way, Officer," said the woman, shakily. The ranked warriors followed her inside the building, their eyes assessing the foyer as they were led up the staircase. A short hallway put them before the mayor's secretary who looked up as they approached.

"May I help you?" she asked pleasantly. Tanaya raised her faceplate.

"Mayor Westerfield. Where is he?"

"He's in his office, Officer. Do you have an appointment?"

"Yes," said Tanaya as she strode past the desk, throwing the office doors open. The secretary started to rise from her seat in protest, but thought better of it and merely watched them go.

The size of the room indicated that it took up most of the second floor of the town hall. The hardwood floor was polished to a high gloss, reflecting the candelabra overhead. Various bronze busts and statuary adorned the room. In the very center was a lifesize statue of the mayor.

Tanaya raised her gloved hand, two fingers extended and hiked her thumb at the door. The last two guards in line closed the doors and stood to face them, ready for possible intrusion.

"What's the meaning of this?" demanded the mayor, as he glared at the group. Quill in hand, he was furiously scribbling on a sheet of parchment, eyes darting from Tanaya to the paper and back again.

"Two of my people are dead and I want to know why," shot back Tanaya, her deep blue eyes reading the upside-down paper. She keyed on the hastily scrawled, "HELP," written on it. Her senses instantly became heightened. Beneath the word, smaller lines of print were visible as the mayor continued writing feverishly. Hands held at her sides, Tanaya clenched her left fist with the palm held backward; a silent signal to her squad that danger was afoot. A slight shifting of feet was all she heard as the troops prepared for possible battle in the enclosed space.