Rescue

"What is being done to find those responsible for the attack on the capital?" asked Serenna, in the makeshift throne room.

"When we left Pathwood Keep," said Vice Prime Minister Silas Coderre, "several squads of scouts had been dispatched into the Appalack Mountains. Several tribes of orcs had been reported by farmers. There were also two unrelated reports of a black dragon in the area. If they find anything, the scouts are to send a messenger to Pathwood Keep. We will take action at that time, Majesty."

"I was told that a shadow dragon may have been the cause of the attack."

"We heard the same, Majesty. Our scholars and scientists disregard that as rumor. No shadow dragons have been sighted on this continent for a thousand years. There is no reason to believe they even exist anymore."

"And our forces in Goxell-Galbria?" she asked. "I will assume that since you knew where I was, in order to get to me, you also know of their situation?"

"Yes, Majesty. We are aware of the problem at Goxell-Galbria," Silas returned. "Upon our arrival at Pathwood Keep, that shall also be addressed."

"No, Vice Prime Minister," Serenna leaned forward in her seat, her voice taking a severe undertone. "There are close to five hundred well-trained and battle-hardened troops aboard these two ships. I want the majority of them to board the Kennitt's Blade and make haste to aid those in need."

"But, Majesty!" he protested. "These Guards are sworn to protect you! As stated in the Constitution, the troops in Goxell-Galbria are now entirely under the jurisdiction of the Regular Military. They are no longer Queen's Guards. They are ordinary soldiers until reunited with the Queen's Regiment."

"Vice Prime Minister..." The diminutive queen fixed him with her gaze. "You are dangerously close to treason by denying aid to troops. The Queen's Guards are soldiers, first and foremost. As the closest military regiment, they are bound by duty to aid their brethren, whether that be Regular Military or otherwise."

"Majesty, please understand the import of what you are asking. Your protection will be severely reduced. We have to see you safely to Pathwood Keep. Once that is accomplished..."

"Once that is accomplished," she cut him off, "it will be another month before rescue troops arrive. Yes, they will move within hours of being notified, but the Ministry will no doubt drag their feet as they debate the issue. All of this will occur while the inhabitants of that port city are being torn apart and eaten alive." Her nose twitched. She rubbed the small diagonal scar on the tip of it. "Vice Prime Minister Silas Coderre, your services end at this juncture. You may file grievance upon arrival at the new capital. Begone."

He bowed formally, turned and walked away.

"I want my wife, the garrison commander, the captain of the Blade, and the captain of this ship standing before me in one hour's time," she said to no one in particular.

-o0o-

"Yes, Your Majesty," Anston Torm said as he bowed, turning and fairly running for the door. He was trailed closely by his deputy and the troop carrier's captain.

Tanaya stood firm, though every part of her screamed to join the rescue. Her brothers, sisters, and friends were in danger. Serenna raised an eyebrow, fully expecting her wife to go with the Kennitt's Blade, but saying nothing.

"Captain Withburn," she turned her attention to Charleen. "Can our speed be increased?"

"Aye, it can, Maj'sty," Charleen said in her seafarer's accent. "Bein' as she's pow'r'd by steam, I can squeeze a few m're knots outta her. As it sits, we'll hit de harbor at Pathw'd Keep in de afternoon, four days from now. If I charge her real good-like, I can take a day, maybe a day and half off'n de arrival time. Da boilers won't like it, bein' run s' hot for that length o' time, but I'm fair sure she'll do de job."

"Very well, captain. Those are your orders."

"Yes'm, Maj'sty. As soon as de Blade's away. By yer leave."

As the captain exited the door of the cargo bay, Serenna smiled tenderly at Tanaya.

"I'm very pleased that you chose to stay, Love of my Life," she said in a soft voice. "I have a present for you."

"Oh?"

Serenna nodded toward the door. Tanaya turned to see the Guard motion to someone in the hall. Nine warriors strode in, their armor matte-black. Totally silent, no clanking associated with the armor of the Queen's Guards, no footfalls could be heard. Twin double curved swords attached to their hips, black shields affixed to their backs. They marched up to Tanaya and knelt, bowing their heads. The smallest figure held a small leather bag up for the Queen Consort to take. She peeked into the bag to find a small matte-black armor figurine.

"Clear this room. All courtiers and Guards, out," smiled Serenna. The room quickly emptied.

"Sergeant Rosada. The rest of you. On your feet, please," said Tanaya. "Majesty, with respect, Madame. What's this?"

"These people had tendered their resignations soon after your ceremony yesterday," Serenna responded. "It seems that they only want to fight alongside you, and I understand why. I took the liberty of having them moved into a newly created squad. I also found the alchemical mage who was working on your armor and ordered these suits created, as well. I was very pleased that you decided to match my own armor. Sergeant Rosada, what name did you decide upon for this squad?"

Sergeant Nazaretta Rosada flipped release catches at the base of her helm, the armor splitting and flowing into a pouch on her belt. The rest did likewise. There stood all the members of Tanaya's former squad, clad in blue shirts, tan pants, and soft leather shoes. Identical to Tanaya's.

"If the Queen Consort will have us, we are her Blood Shadows, Your Majesty."

"I wholeheartedly and gladly accept the finest gift ever offered. I am truly humbled," Tanaya replied, flipping back her curly blonde mane. "Serenna, I need to speak with you about that very thing. It's up to you whether or not you want these warriors to hear."

"They are your cadre to command, Tanaya," said Serenna.

"Very well, Love." Tanaya began looking from person to person. "After my resignation yesterday, I spent the rest of the day and most of the night speaking with those versed in lycanthropy. They all agreed that I will change when the moon is full. They also said that the change depends on each individual. A strong-willed person can control it very well, but there have been cases of shapeshifting every night, due to the mental instability of the shifter."

"Well, ma'am, you're one of the strongest-minded people I know," said Agrim Thunderhand, happy to be back with his commanding officer. "I'd be surprised if you shift at all unless you want it."

"To play it safe, I'll need to sequester myself in a room lined with iron. Iron and silver are said to cause pain, bordering on burns, to the shifted," said the immense warrioress, reverting to her commanding self. "Privates Duncaster and Baknel, it shouldn't be too hard to find a room like that aboard this ship. I don't care a whit how clean it is. Just make sure it can't be opened from the inside. Get to it. The rest of you, help the regiment get squared away aboard the Kennitt's Blade. They're going to rescue Goxell-Galbria." As they all turned to leave, she shouted, "And, close the door behind you!"

As the last of the warriors left the room, the door was shut. Tanaya turned to her wife.

"Now, Majesty, you and I need a little 'alone time'..." that smoky voice said.

-o0o-

Tanaya eased the young Queen from her sexual high, gently removing her fingers, cradling the small figure, whispering her declarations of love.

When Serenna's breathing had returned to normal, the pair made sure she was presentable once again. Tanaya stood to allow the Queen to once again take her rightful place on the throne.