Preparations

Tanaya stiffened, in the middle of brushing her hair. Carefully and deliberately laying her brush on the dresser, she drew herself to her full height of six feet, six inches. Turning to face him, she speared him with her sky blue eyes.

"I'll resign my post as a commander of the Queen's Guard at first light, my good commander," she said. "I need this eve to prepare and speak with my squadmates. Please allow me this one indulgence."

"Yes, Highness. I will grant this request. I say this next with the highest respect and admiration of a Queen's Guard, Highness." He cleared his throat, continuing, "Your Highness is forbidden to wear the armor or trappings of a Guard from this point forward, else punishment shall be swiftly rendered."

"No offense is perceived, Garrison Commander Anston Torm. It is your duty. Now, please excuse me while I get out of this dress. It's very uncomfortable. You know how I hate dresses." She winked at him. "See you later, Anston. In private, just call me Tanaya. I'll never get used to being called Highness."

He grinned.

"Thanks for not going apeshit gonzo loco on me, Tanaya. It could've been messy in here." He opened the door, stepping into the hallway. "First light, Highness. By your leave?"

"Have a nice evensong, commander. Have someone round up my squad to meet in Sergeant Rosada's quarters in one hour."

"Yes, your Highness." He bowed his formally and departed.

The ladies-in-waiting practically ran into the room to assist in removing her dress.

-o0o-

"NO!" screamed Serenna, her voice carrying into the passageway outside their quarters. "NO! NO! NO! It will not happen! The law shall be amended on my position as Queen!"

"Serenna!" Tanaya snapped back. "Compose yourself, Madame!"

"You dare speak to your queen in such a manner?!"

Tanaya inhaled deeply, letting her breath out slowly.

"I dare speak to my wife in such a manner," she said. "Your position as queen might intimidate others, but not me. I reddened the royal butt once, I'll do it again."

"Clear this room," said a fuming Serenna.

The two attendants quickly stepped out, closing the door behind them.

"You need to settle your ass, Serenna. You have a lot to learn about being Queen," said Tanaya, her tone a little softer. "This is a constitutional monarchy. You can't change the laws as you see fit. I am bound by law to step down. I'm sure that Rance and a few others knew this, but were willing to accept me as their leader. If someone had voiced a protest, bringing up this very subject, I would have stepped down long ago."

"Tanaya, you are my champion. My wife," pleaded Serenna. "You are commander of the finest regiment on the planet. You have done a superb job of getting us to safety. You need to stay in command. I'll talk to the Ministry about having the laws changed."

The enormous Queen Consort stepped to the tiny Queen, enfolding her in a tight embrace, kissing the top of her head softly.

"That's fine. You can do that when we get to Pathwood Keep. But, right here, right now, I must abide by the laws set forth nearly fifty years ago. Laws are made for a reason. This particular law was made in response to an incident involving a sergeant and Queen Jansela. Their entire regiment was wiped out because of his love for her. I very nearly brought the subject up on our first night together in the tent..." Tanaya heaved a breath, tipping Serenna's face up to stare lovingly into the brown eyes. "But, I was so enamored of you. Pure lust intervened. As our relationship grew, I did my utmost to separate private and professional life. Now, I'm seeing clearly how truly justified the law is."