The Newcomer

Imelda reported as ordered and, after a brief exchange, it was decided that the injured horse would carry no weight at all; not even a rider. He would recover in time, though. It was a good thing they'd be traveling by road for a few days.

Just before dinner that evening, Corporal Whitepurse and her new friend, the elf, emerged from their quarters. Amanda had a certain glow about her, while the elf remained passive as her eyes casually wandered the enclosed space.

All forest elves had fairly dark skin, slightly darker than the Conquistador race. The elves, as a whole, were probably the most beautiful people on the planet. To find one who was less than stellar-looking was a rarity, and this one was no exception. She limped closely behind Amanda, her feet treading almost the exact spot Amanda's own had vacated a mere moment previously. If the pair were to tread across a live body, that person would be hard-pressed to tell that two people had walked over them. The elf stood a head taller than Amanda's own five feet, one inch, her head never turning. Only her eyes moved, her ears detecting every the slightest whisper. No doubt she could hear the breathing of the guards on the roof.

Serenna noticed the pair first and cleared her throat. Amanda and the elf approached. The healer's light footsteps drawing more attention to them, the elf's feet were silent. Tanaya glanced down to assess the lack of noise from the elf and saw that her leather-clad feet touched down toe first, then the heel gently alighted. With most people, the heel hit the ground first, then the foot rocked forward. While moving forward, the elf appeared to be walking backward. When Amanda stopped, the elf stopped instantly as though an invisible field kept them equal distance from each other at all times.

Tanaya smiled pleasantly as she looked at first Corporal Whitepurse, then at the elf, instantly sizing up the forest-dweller. Scualdon turned red again and stared into his mug, seeming to closely examine the bottom.

The elf's pointed chin barely cleared the top of Amanda's head. Her green eyes seemed to shine with an inner light as she cast them around the room. Her unkempt greenish-brown hair reached her shoulders and appeared to have been sawn off with a knife, rather than cut or trimmed by a barber. The pointed tips of her ears were exposed, quivering and shifting slightly to catch the merest sound. She wore loose-fitting mottled black, brown, tan, and dark green leather clothes. The dirt under her fingernails attested to the fact that she spent a lot of time crawling in dirt and climbing trees. There was no doubt in Tanaya's mind that, were this elf to walk out the door of the tower, she'd disappear without a trace.

Amanda giggled, cleared her throat to try to settle herself, and giggled again.

"Princess. Commander," she said, "this is Shalindra Dragonspring, of the Dragonspring Clan of the Falling Waters of Monfall Forest."

Tanaya scooted her chair back and stood as the elf placed both arms across her own chest, bowing deeply to each respectively.

"I yam honored, Yoor Hyness. Greetings, commander," Shalindra sighed, her oddly-accented, melodic voice barely above a whisper. "Tank yoo for my rescyoo."

"Don't thank us," Tanaya replied as she pointed to Rance, who stood also. "It was Captain MacNaulty and his team who pulled you out of that hole. Please, sit and dine with us." She gestured to two empty chairs. Her body shook as she kicked Scualdon's shin under the table. Scualdon grunted and raised his head to look at the pair as they sat.

"Ummmm...errrr...uhhhh..." he stammered. "Ladies...ummm...I apologize for walking in on you while you...uhhhh...I should have knocked...sorry."

Rance could barely contain himself and made an excuse to leave the table in a hurry. As soon as he was out of sight, his laughter echoed down the hallway. Scualdon's eyes narrowed and he excused himself also, rushing off in the direction Rance had taken. Tanaya just grinned and shook her head.