Messages

Seated at the dining table, they were surrounded on every side by waiters and waitresses, maids, courtiers, and Queen's Guards. Tanaya was introduced to more people than she cared to know. She wore her casual clothes of blue shirt and tan pants. The rest were dressed in their finest attire. A maid entered to present her with a folded handwritten note.

"Is the courier still present?" she asked, wiping her mouth and reading the note.

"Yes, ma'am," came the reply. "He was told to wait for a reply."

-o0o-

Tanaya,

We pooled our money and bought the Ravaged Maiden Tavern. It's a rundown little hole in the western part of the city. You'll like it. We also bought the apartment building next door. It's been abandoned for years. Several squatters have taken up residence on the lower floor. Delgado wanted to kick them out, but Lonathy wanted to wait for your word. The top floor is fairly clean. We'll take care of it. There's space for all of us, plus a couple more if warranted. As soon as the guys make a hole in the back wall, two steps and we're out of the city. We'll wait around until you can get free. Don't worry about us, we have plenty to keep us occupied.

Nazaretta

-o0o-

Nazaretta,

Hit a slight snag here. Isn't that always the case? It might be a few days before I can join you. Let the squatters stay. Interview them and find out if any are ex-military. If they're willing, they can be our lookouts. Make sure to feed them all, just don't let them keep bringing more and more folks. We aren't a charity. I'll be there as soon as I can. In the meantime, come up with plans of attack for Goxell-Galbria and prepare to move by week's end. They're fighting a wyvern. We don't want to miss the fun!

Tanaya

-o0o-

Tanaya folded the note, laying it on the table. She asked a servant for a large basket. When it was presented to her, she grabbed the carving knife, cut the roast in half and put it in the basket. Assorted vegetables, a loaf of bread, an unopened bottle of wine, and a full blackberry pie went into it. The others at the table stared in disbelief.

Tanaya tucked the note securely into the basket, handing it to the maid.

"Give that to the courier. Tell him to deliver it without delay." She reached into a pocket, producing five gold pieces. "This is expressly for him."

The maid hurried out with the items.

"Madame," began Vice Prime Minister Coderre, "those are the queen's victuals. They are not to be given to every ragamuffin who enters the castle."

Since the Prime Minister had been banished from the castle, an alternate representative of the Royal Ministry had been sent in his place.

"Why not?" asked Tanaya. "This food has been set before you."

"Tanaya!" snapped Serenna. "You are excused from this table..."

"As Your Majesty commands," sniffed Tanaya. She drained her wine goblet, threw her napkin on the table and stormed out.

-o0o-

Wandering the halls of the castle, she found the Guard barracks and went inside.

The room was laid out in almost the exact manner of her former barracks, now a ruined hole many leagues distant. A wave of nostalgia hit her. She inhaled the scent of the place.

Years of stale sweat, disinfectant, clean blankets, armor polish, and many other smells served to fuel her memories of her days spent in a room just like this one. These smells were not just in the air; they had seeped into the wooden floorboards and rafters overhead. All barracks had a similar smell, but each was slightly different as different people had passed through over the years. Different cleaning solutions in different strengths. Each barracks had its own story.

She heard the jeers and catcalls of the cadre as she had entered on her first day in the Guard. She saw herself making her top bunk, smoothing the creases, bouncing a gold piece off of it. Conversations and time in her former barracks replayed in her mind. She chuckled to herself, remembering the day she had clobbered Ergnok with her helm; being worried more about possibly scratching or smudging it than the form lying at her feet.

"Well, shit fire, light a match, and call me a nine-fingered Nancy! What the slag-damn jellywort are you doing in my beloved barracks, you freakishly sized worm-riding ass-faced fannyflap-headed prostitute?" blustered a male voice behind her, breaking her reverie.

She froze in her tracks. Drawing herself up to her full height of six feet, six inches, she whirled on the man.

"Just who in the Nine Levels of Hades do you think you're talking to, you dickheaded, pimple faced, knob slobbing, little shitstick who calls himself a man? I bet you bugger small dogs and don't give them the courtesy of a reach-around!" she shot back.

"How are you, Tanaya?" he grinned.

She hugged the man.

"I've been better, Jarek," she said. "A bit flustered at the moment, but I'll get over it. I'm also looking for Private Rivers."

"You? Flustered? Ox turds!" he scoffed. "You don't get flustered, or have moments of doubt, girl. You are very cool and calm under pressure. In fact, you thrive under pressure. Very few have your battle mind. A mind that has zero bollocks on your size. If you were four feet tall, you'd still be calm, cool, and collected. I've read most of the reports of your adventures. Badger's tadger, Tanaya, you DIED out there, then got up like it was nothing and brought the queen here, literally decimating an overwhelming force of undead in the process. Yes, you lost some very good and capable people, but the majority of them are alive due to your intelligence, cunning, and ruthlessness. By Sword and Helm, they should be giving you the keys to the realm, not threatening to cut off your head. If you need anyone to testify at your trial, let me know. I have a hundred people who will back you up."

"The trial will be held tomorrow morning, one hour after sunrise." She tossed her head, throwing her long curly hair back. "I would be pleased if you were there for moral support. Seren...the queen and her mother have something cooked up, but I think I need a few more friendly faces."

"I'll be there," he replied, running a hand across his bald head. "I'm sure I can find a few others for you. I thought I taught you better than to go digging a royal's ditch."

"Believe me, that was foremost in my brain. It was my body that did the talking, though. Now," she said, changing the subject, "where can I find Private Rivers?"

"Rivers is on duty. She'll be back in an hour," he replied, starting toward the back of the barracks. "Come on, Washout. The coffee's hot, the sandwiches are cold. Kick your feet up, and tell Regiment Commander Jarek Hodges what else is on your mind."

-o0o-

"...and this chair comes out of nowhere. Nails Agrim right in the face just as he's taking a drink of mead," she laughed. "He's got blood coming out of his nose, this enormous cut over his eye, now he's covered in mead and blood, still kicked back in his chair. He looks around, finds the guy who threw it, and yells, 'Dog's bollocks, mate! Ya be owin' me a feckin' mug when ya git finitched bein' a clunge!' He pulls my mug right outta my hand and starts in on it like nothing's wrong."

The small group of off-duty Guards chuckled. Private Rivers walked in, carrying a sheet of paper. She smiled at Tanaya, as she handed the paper to Jarek.

"Shift report, sir. Minor scuffle at the rear of the castle. The local militia took care of it," she said.

"Right, private," Jarek acknowledged. "Miss Paulsdottir would like to speak with you. You can use my office if you want."

Being that she was not officially married to the queen, Tanaya wasn't afforded the appellation of "highness." Likewise, no longer a member of the Queen's Guard, she held no rank. She was a common citizen. During her years with the Guard, though, she had gained many friends; more like family. Brothers and sisters, they were. Five hundred of them.

"Sure thing," said the healer. They went into Jarek's office, Tanaya closing the door.