The Happy Couple

As the sun peeked over the horizon, tent flaps were quickly thrown open as the temperature inside quickly rose. Although the outside air was cool and brisk, there was no wind. Most Royal Guardsmen emerged from their tents clad in their loose fitting pants and tops. Low-burning fires were stoked to full flame in preparation for the morning's cooking.

Sometime during the night, a small enclosure had been built next to Tanaya and Serenna's tent. It contained a basin for washing, set on a small table, and a hole to be used as a toilet. Emerging from the tent and stretching her taut body, muscles drumhead tight beneath the skin, Tanaya chuckled to herself when she spied it. Those elves were remarkable...and spooky. She'd never heard the thing being set up. She was immensely glad they were on her side.

She knelt beside the tent, reaching into her pack to retrieve her toiletries, pausing to tickle a small royal foot which poked out from under the covers. The foot waggled, then jerked beneath the light blanket. Suddenly, the blanket was thrown back as Serenna gasped and sat up, snagging a light shift and throwing it over her naked diminutive form as she scooted out of the now-sweltering enclosure.

"Lieutenant Packer!" called Tanaya, spying the brown-haired warrioress helping set up morning chow. "Where's our happy couple?" She was referring to Lieutenant Scualdon Rennerfeld and Private Amelia Spencer, the undercover recon team she had sent into town the day before.

"Not sure, commander," said Jacqueline, as she carried a small tray for Serenna and Tanaya, setting it on the small table directly in front of the couple's tent. "They might be on the far side of camp. I'll go find 'em."

"If they're not in camp, take a squad and scour that city until you do find them. They should have returned last night. Wear full armor. Let it be known that if we have to tear the place apart, we will find them. You know where to start your search." She grinned and popped a hard-boiled egg into her mouth.

"Chief Constable Westerfield, aye, Ma'am!" Jacqueline chuckled.

-o0o-

Serenna had to be shown how to use a simple washbasin in order to clean her entire body, while not letting too much water slop out. After all, she was accustomed to full baths and the luxuries of her station, not the austere ways of the Royal Guard. Tanaya took great care in showing how to use a washcloth and water, warmed from the fire, to wash one's body starting with her hair and working her way down. Hair, face, arms, upper body, armpits, groin, legs, and feet. The dirty water was unceremoniously dumped over the back wall of the small enclosure and refilled with clear fresh water for any quick touch-ups which might be needed throughout the day.

Now washed, combed, and wearing a clean set of loose-fitting brown cotton clothes, of the type favored by the Guard, Serenna pulled her chair up to the table and began eating the meager breakfast which had been set down. At least the coffee was hot.

Birds, squirrels, and other forest creatures made their presence known with various sounds. Which were real animals and which were elves keeping watch?

As she ate, she cast her eyes on the city below, fully lit by the low morning sun. From this angle, she could make out several church steeples amidst the mostly one-story buildings clustered together. The wall around the city was broken in places, a few spots under repairs; she assumed it was from one of the demon attacks of the past month. Farther out, she could see the rigging of the ships in the harbor, beyond was the ocean. She knew from her history and geography lessons that there were other lands across the ocean. She wanted to travel to them to meet the various peoples found there.

The hull of the largest ship in the harbor stood twice as tall as any other. That must be the Shark's Widow. Private Delgado was right, that was a big ship. She couldn't make out too much detail at this distance, and the sun was in her eyes, but it looked to be close to a quarter-mile long and very wide. Sort of a teardrop shape with the point facing her. The upper deck was flat, like a griddle. About a third of the way back on the deck was a large clear bubble with several smaller places, she assumed they were rooms, inside. On one side, a wide ramp to a large rectangular hole about halfway up the side. Curious that there was no smokestack or sail rigging.