Royal Confrontation

When the horses were settled, Tanaya ordered a few men to stand watch at the highest point of the tower, switching off at regular intervals. Serenna, barely able to keep her hands or eyes away from Tanaya, had explained that, although the tower and its buildings were hidden from common view, anyone outside would be visible. As long as they all stayed inside they were invisible.

Serenna gave a small tour of the interior, pointing out the private chambers for the queen, herself and the former servants and pages. Although the tower had not been occupied for many turns of the Great Clock, there was no dust present and the food in the larders was as fresh as the day it was brought here.

Soon, the smell of cooking permeated the halls. Mouths watered at the scents of the delights soon to be presented for their enjoyment, several guards also being cooks. After an outstanding meal, armor and weapons were polished and prepared for the next day while others went to cleanse themselves of the day's filth and grime, the princess included.

While Serenna was cleaning up, Tanaya was approached by Quinnel, one of the rear guard. He handed her a small leather bag explaining that Lieutenant Chesthammer had instructed them to pick up anything unusual. Upon opening it, she spied several bits of scarlet leather along with scraps of weathered paper, torn cloth, and a broken pipe stem.

"And here's the last item, commander. I'd hate to meet the creature that did this." He reached to the table behind him and heaved a huge rusted tower shield before him. The shield was folded in half, the skeletal arm of a long-dead warrior trapped in it. Tanaya's eyes widened slightly, a grin on her face. She clapped Quinnel on the shoulder.

"Quinnel, you'd be the creature that did that!" She laughed heartily. "Thank you, Private. You've done a fine job. Give the others my congratulations, as well."

"Commander," he asked, scratching his chin, "mind if I ask why we had to pick all that stuff up? It was kinda like latrine duty. We do sumpthin' wrong?"

She grabbed the back of his head and head butted him, an immense grin on her beautiful face.

"No, Private. You did everything right. Go get some rest." She winked and strode into the common area where the officers and most of the troops were lounging.

"Five two-man teams are to patrol the interior. They will be relieved at one-hour intervals. Two guards are to post outside Her Highness' quarters and fit into the rotation. I'll be in the room next d..." Tanaya was cut off by the princess' voice behind her.

"You'll be sleeping in my bed to keep me warm and safe. The guards outside the door will not be necessary. They may add to the patrol of the interior if you wish."

"Highness," sighed an exasperated Tanaya, as she turned to face the lovely young woman, "I am in charge of your protection and the safety of my troops. If you countermand my orders again where security and safety are concerned, I shall take you over my knee and redden the royal bottom. Do I make myself clear, Princess?"

Several guards had to run out of the room, unable to contain their mirth but not wanting to laugh at the royal and risk the ire of their commander. The princess huffed and folded her arms across her chest, knitting her brow like a petulant child.

"How dare you speak to me like that? When I tell my father how I've been treated this entire trip..."

"He will agree with me, my officers and our methods of preserving your highness," Tanaya interjected, her words gaining momentum as she spoke evenly and respectfully. "I will remind Her Highness once again of our predicament...or were you absent from our 'tour group' this morning when we were attacked? This is neither spring camp nor harvest faire, Madame. They meant to kill us, with a capital 'K.' The Big Sleep. No spell on the planet would undo the damage. I am trying to get us to some semblance of safety and keep Her Royal Highness' petite little spoiled ass alive. The Guards did not sign on for this duty to be your personal playthings. We have a job to do and we do it very well. If you think that you can do better, I will willingly hand you my swords and helm and let you lead. The choice is yours, Highness."