Past Deeds

The procession moved down the wide street amid the celebration and courtesy due the queen. People knelt or bowed their heads as the queen's carriage passed. Queen's Guards, astride their massive Percherons, scanned the throngs of people from behind closed faceplates, armor gleaming. Foot soldiers from the regular army marched in lockstep, banners flying. Hails, cheers, and joyous screams filled the air as they made their way toward the castle.

Serenna waved and smiled as she passed, feeling the love for her late father, now directed at her. Her father had been a good, decent, fair king. He was loved by most of the kingdom. She would strive to carry on his legacy.

Out of sight of the crowds, below the level of the window, Serenna and Tanaya held hands lovingly.

-o0o-

Alighting from the royal carriage, Serenna and Tanaya were approached by Prime Minister Jarn Barthay, a squad of Regular Military behind him. Serenna spied her mother hovering anxiously in the background.

"Queen Serenna Newlander," Barthay intoned, "you have been accused of violation of Constitutional Law in the way that you were intimate and formed a relationship with a King's Guard. A warrant for your immediate arrest has been issued. You are hereby bound to remain inside the walls of this castle pending your trial. If found guilty, the punishment shall be twenty lashes with a barbed whip."

He turned to Tanaya.

"Tanaya Paulsdottir, you have been accused of violating Constitutional Law. As a King's Guard, you were intimate and formed a relationship with a person of royal stature. You are hereby bound to remain inside the walls of this castle pending your trial. If you are found guilty, the punishment is death."

"Prime Minister, you will address my wife as Queen Consort, or Your Highness," said Serenna, levelly. "I will not brook disrespect to her."

"Majesty," he returned smoothly, "you were not formally wed. There is no marriage decree, nor is there a record of your application for a marriage license within the kingdom. You are not married, therefore, she is not Queen Consort."

"We'll see about that, prime minister." Her nose twitched. "Have the entire Royal Ministry, clerks included, assembled in the throne room one hour after sun up tomorrow. For this moment, you will leave this building and take your lapdogs with you." She gestured to the soldiers.

She brushed past him and strode toward her mother, Tanaya by her side.

-o0o-

Serenna's personal backpack had been deposited in the queen's chambers. Sometime in the past, Tanaya had shown her how to secure a backpack in a way which allowed for rapid access, as well as being tamperproof. Each Guard had their own way of securing a pack, sort of a signature tie. An examination of the ties showed that they had not been opened.

"While I approve of your selection in lifemates, Serry," Queen Mother Agnetha said, "I can't say that I approve the way you two became wives. I certainly hope you know what you're doing. Violating Constitutional Law is very severe."

"Mom, was I willful as a child?" Serenna asked, seemingly unconcerned as she dug through her pack.

"You most certainly were," chuckled Agnetha. "All sorts of mischief was created."

Finding what she sought, she withdrew it from the pack, and slammed it on the table before her mother, causing the woman to jump. It was a leatherbound book. "Rules and Regulations of the Royal Guard" in gold-outlined silver letters, a gift from an alchemical mage while they lounged in the tower.

"And I shall continue to cause more mischief..." Serenna said, slyly. "Is there any way of recalling the exact words Father spoke when the Royal Guard was created?"