Ambush

The sun was just peeking over the horizon when Mynletta Darkbow roused herself. Her sleep had been peaceful, the demons and undead surrounding her camp providing an impenetrable cordon; they didn't need sleep. An imp scampered to her side as soon as it realized that she was awake and handed her a hot bowl of morning stew along with a cup of steaming coffee. She carried the meal over to sit beneath a tree and muse about the day ahead, idly looking across the field at the thousands of undead soldiers in her command. Not daring to voice her questions, for who knew when her lord was watching and listening, she thought about the battle yesterday and the take over of the city.

It had been almost too easy. Those fool local guards hadn't stood a chance and were swept away like so much refuse. But the screams...yes. Those delicious screams of the dying and tortured. If there was one thing in this world that she enjoyed more than the act of sex were anguished screams. Ever since she had come of age, a tortured scream always brought her intense pleasure. She remembered sitting for hours outside her father's torture chamber, listening and shaking in ecstasy every time some poor soul lost a piece of flesh or appendage. She had far more intense orgasms from hearing screams than she did from the act of sex itself.

Her reverie was broken by an undead captain who approached and knelt at her side.

"Milady," he growled, his vocal chords mere fragments of their former selves. "Our quarry lies two leagues distant. Our scouts report that they make ready to move. They appear to be making for Ouranos Village, and should arrive there by nightfall."

"Very good, Captain," the necromancer replied, "split the force and have them triple-march around the guard unit to block the pass into the city. Lead the force yourself, as I don't want mistakes. If you are spotted, I will be most displeased. Take a few demons with you. Send a three-hundred-strong detachment to harass that company. I don't expect any of ours to return, but I want our prey to stay on their toes. Begone."

The undead captain bowed his head and rushed off to do his mistress's bidding. Within minutes, a large force had assembled and was running full-tilt in the direction of Ouranos Village, a smaller group double-timing straight for Serenna's guards. Mynletta idly watched them go as she ate, returning to her musings.

Why had her lord forbidden them to attack the pitifully small band in the middle of the night? They would have been easily crushed. Granted, her informant was among them and would probably be slain in the process, but those were the hazards of being a spy. She had an idea of whom the informant was, but her contact at the Bloody Cauldron Inn had assured her that the scraps of red leather would mark their path. Once the trail had been detected, it was fairly easy to follow seventy horse tracks. Leaving a scrap of red tucked into a crevice of the castle marking a hidden passage was almost a stroke of genius. Too bad her friend, Dessica Pyburn, had to die. Oh, well, fortunes of war.

-o0o

The sky was growing lighter in preparation for the sun to show itself for the day. This day promised to be clear and warm. Three rings on her armor outside the tent and Tanaya was instantly awake; the princess still slept on her chest. Tanaya breathed deeply, Serenna's hair surrounding her nose providing a fragrant, strawberry and lilac scent.

"Thank you," Tanaya said to the unseen body outside her tent, "recall the sentries, make sure everyone is well fed and ready to move in an hour." An acknowledgment from Isarac. His footsteps moved away. Tanaya wrapped her arms around the princess' nude form, hugging her lightly and shaking her gently, kissing the top of her head. Serenna frowned unconsciously, mewling softly.

"Princess," Tanaya said softly, bending her head to kiss the royal tenderly on the lips. She slipped a hand to Serenna's butt and patted the firm flesh tenderly. "We need to move for Ouranos Village, Highness."