Dinner at Sea

Tanaya opened the door in answer to a small rapping. Sergeant Rosada and Private Delgado, clad in the loose brown leisure wear, standing patiently before her. She ushered them in and closed the door.

"Princess Newlander has brought to my attention that our hostess, Captain Withburn, might not be completely forthcoming. Did either of you detect anything untoward?" she asked the pair.

"Well, commander," began Rosada, scratching her ear, "I poked around a little, and made my way to the main deck. The deck is absolutely flat. No vents. No sails. The only thing up there is a huge bubble that looks like it contains the bridge. All I could see from my angle were the tops of people's heads, so I can't say if it was indeed the bridge."

"When we took the horses to the cargo hold, I overheard some of the crew. They weren't speaking like any oceaneer I've ever heard. Most seafaring folk have their own mode of speech. Their own lingo. These guys were speaking some dialect of high elven, except they weren't elves. They were as human as you and me," said Delgado. He'd been raised around ships and their people all his life before he joined the military.

Another small rapping at the door. There stood a very polished and well-dressed Remecca. Obviously now a steward.

"Dinner will be served inna Cap'n's quarters in thirty minutes, Officer. She requests the honor of de Royal's 'n yer presence, Mum."

"Please inform Captain Withburn that it is we who are honored and will arrive at the appointed time," returned Tanaya.

Remecca bowed formally, turned smartly, and strode away. Tanaya again closed the door.

"Private Delgado, I'd like for you to be our security escort for the eve. Armor up and be back here in twenty minutes. Keep your eyes and ears wide open. Sergeant, take somebody with you and poke around a little more. I don't want anyone to be alone until we figure out what's going on. Ask Jarana if she can keep some kind of watcher spell on this room, too."

The pair confirmed their orders, then left.

Tanaya opened the bathroom door to find Serenna exulting in a tub of warm water, a damp cloth over her eyes. She hadn't had a true bath in several days. This was close to heaven.

"Highness," began Tanaya from the bathroom's doorway, assuming her role as protector, "we have been invited to dinner with the captain in thirty minutes. May I suggest your purple dress with the gold piping?"

"So, you're my aide-de-camp now?" She dipped the cloth in the water and placed it back over her eyes.

"Well, dearest," Tanaya leaned against the door jamb with arms folded, as she eyed her wife's nude form, "your ladies in waiting have been scattered to the winds. Someone needs to keep your cute ass looking pretty."

The damp rag flew across the room and smacked her squarely in the face.

-o0o-

Private Delgado led the way down the narrow corridor toward Captain Withburn's quarters. Several paces behind was the princess, followed closely by the immensely tall Tanaya clad in her standard brown cotton shirt and pants. Reaching almost to the low ceiling, Tanaya tilted her head occasionally to keep from banging it on light fixtures.

A well-built man with light brown hair stood outside the captain's door, smiling as they approached.

Private Delgado let the princess and commander continue to the door.

"Princess Newlander," he greeted, bowing deeply. "I am Jer Mahalla, the security chief aboard this vessel. My deepest apologies, Highness, but I must conduct a search of your royal person to ensure that no..."