The Ravaged Maiden

To: Queen's Guard Regimental Commander Jarek Hodges

Sir,

I hereby formally submit my resignation as a Queen's Guard. You, sir, have been instrumental in my growth during my two years in the regiment. I understand that I will no longer be allowed to wear the armor of the Queen's Guard and that I give up any future attempts to rejoin.

You have been most kind throughout my tenure, and I'll never forget you.

All armor, weapons, and other gear issued to me have been deposited on my bunk.

Yours,

Giselle Rivers

-o0o-

She slipped the note under his door, shouldered her new pack containing her meager possessions, and strode out.

-o0o-

The fire burned low in the queen's quarters, providing a gentle light throughout the room.

Tanaya nestled snugly against Serenna, both panting slightly from their exertions. She lightly stroked her wife's raven black hair, rejoicing in the fact that they were now legally wed. She inhaled the heady scent of strawberries and lilacs, one arm draped over Serenna, her thumb tenderly flicking a nipple.

"I love you, Serenna," she whispered into the young queen's ear.

Serenna turned her head, whispering back her affirmation of love for the warrioress.

"In the morn, after breakfast, I have to get the squad prepared to move for Goxell-Galbria, though," said Tanaya, rolling onto her back.

Serenna rolled onto her other side, now facing Tanaya.

"I know, my love. Your duty and honor are things I cherish about you. You could very easily have disdained returning there, relying on the Regular Military to sort it all. None would have faulted you." She traced a finger down Tanaya's chest, circling first one nipple, then the other with her finger. "There's no possible way I'll forbid you to go to their aid. They're my friends, as well. When will you leave on your journey?"

"I told Nazaretta to be ready to move by week's end, four days hence," Tanaya replied, kissing Serenna's forehead. "Don't worry. I'll let you know when we pull out."

"You'd better," Serenna said with mock menace in her voice, climbing onto Tanaya's chest. "Else I'll have you clapped in irons and chained in the dungeon to be at my mercy..." She leaned forward to passionately kiss the queen consort, then slowly moved down Tanaya's body to disappear under the sheets.

-o0o-

"Maurice," said Tanaya, "I apologize for my actions the other night. I didn't mean to insult you. I was just put off at my treatment. Almost as if I was a second-class citizen." She was referring to the way she had stalked to Serenna's bedchambers totally nude.

"There is no need for Madame to explain herself to one of my station," the butler replied, seemingly always at attention, his face stone.

"While Her Highness' actions were highly irregular, under the circumstances..." his voice dropped a bit, "I get it, Madame. Is there something I may do for you?"

"I need a city guide. One who knows how to keep their mouth shut. I have a specific place to go and don't want to be troubled with sightseeing. In addition, I don't want everyone in the castle to know where I go. No guard detail. My comings and goings remain between the queen and myself. Understood?"

"Of course, Highness," he said. "How soon is a guide required?"

"I'd like to leave the castle within the hour, if possible. If there's a way in and out without a lot of questions, that would be ideal."