The Gold Ghost Brigade

Three Thousand Years Before

"Flash traffic from Seoul, sir! They just picked up the launch of two North Korean missiles, bound for Volgograd!"

"Multiple launches from Sverdlovsk. Trajectory prediction shows them bound for Pyongyang."

"Shit. The North Koreans probably shot nukes. Undoubtedly, the Russians responded with chemical weapons."

"Sir, Seoul reports that one of the two airbornes has been destroyed. The active NK missile will impact in nine minutes, fourteen seconds. The first of five Russian missiles will impact in ten minutes, forty-five seconds."

"Now, tracking thirteen signatures from Russia. Six of those are known to carry nuclear warheads. North Korea's going to be a smoking hole, sir."

"So is South Korea."

-o0o-

One side of Volgograd was incinerated on impact; tens of thousands dying of radiation poisoning over the next months.

With the Russian response of so many nuclear and chemical weapons, the Korean peninsula evaporated, and with it went several embassies and military bases. A lot of the countries in question had nuclear capabilities also. Their governments responded in kind.

Cluster fuck. Big time.

The world's governments fell apart.

A lot of the movies were wrong. The earth hadn't been turned into a nuclear wasteland. No vast deserts devoid of life and water. It was all messed up, sure; but life has a way of adapting to its environment. A direct result of the airborne toxins and radiation was the mutation of various plants and animals. Species that didn't die became hardier. Those species which died out were replaced by others. Nature abhors a vacuum.

Every living creature expels some type of gaseous substance. The gases contain deoxyribonucleic acid molecules, more commonly referred to as DNA, the building blocks of all life. These airborne molecules merged. These airborne molecules mutated. These airborne molecules were inhaled by other living things. Some of the molecules were absorbed and integrated to the host organism, others were rejected by those organisms and took up residence elsewhere.

Evolution occurred.

Humans mutated. Animals mutated. Plants mutated. Magic was discovered. New races were born.

Order was restored to lands and fiefdoms. Tribes made peace and began trading.

The planet had been rebooted.

-o0o-

Human nature dictates that groups will cluster together and rebuild. Roaming marauder bands, while still active, remain in the minority. Humans, in general, like to see some form of structure and government. Town mayors became presidents and dictators overnight. The worst were usually destroyed quickly, more experienced and level-headed people taking their places. Higher levels of government, those with more power and followers, attempted to restore peace and organization.

For nearly a three centuries, fiefdoms and absolute monarchies were the norms.

Gradually, rulers began to see the benefits of constitutional monarchies, most notable being that they could get some rest and not have to micromanage their countries' laws.

The discovery of a vast cave containing ancient books, alongside strange boxes with black tails, was reported to King Landyn O'Duinn. He promptly sent a large portion of his scholars, scientists, and mages to the cave in order to discern the secrets held within. Days became weeks. Weeks became years as the learned men and women pored over the contents of the books. They discovered that the boxes required a power source. The mages found a larger box which seemed to be just that. After several trials and errors, a generator was started. Light emanated from the ceiling, negating the use of torches and candles. Hums, clicks, and whirs were heard as the long-unused boxes began displaying information. More time was spent deciphering these boxes and how to use them.

Landyn, in his wisdom, contacted other benevolent rulers, showing them these marvelous magic boxes and the knowledge they contained. The rulers decided that if this technology was ever disseminated to the world's populace, the catastrophes of a thousand years before would eventually be repeated.

Every once in a while, the Sky Gods would send a box plummeting to earth. This was a reminder that they were always watching. Altars were quickly built around them to honor the Sky Gods. Of course, Landyn's group quickly deduced that these boxes were man-made satellites. They figured out how to keep most of the still-operational satellites in orbit, thereby ensuring communications with other potentates, as well as using cameras to watch parts of the planet far below. Some of the satellites contained explosive devices of unimaginable power, to be used only in the direst of circumstances. Those which couldn't be saved were allowed to reenter the atmosphere, a band of specialists being dispatched for quick recovery of the more sensitive satellites.

The Gold Ghost Brigade was formed. Only the most trusted scholars, scientists, and mages were privy to this organization and its secrets.

Technology was built on and improved. Tandala's ring was one such improvement. Captain Withburn's ship another.

-o0o-

Now and again could be heard the muted ringing of a ship's bell. Captain Withburn explained it denoted the passage of time. She had been answering questions for the past five hours. Remecca had been replaced by another steward who had been introduced as Wilton Sheets.

Serenna yawned and stretched. The captain took her cue.

"By your leave, Your Highness, I will depart for the evening and release Wilton. Should you require anything during the night, the fire watchman patrols this deck every fifteen minutes."

"Thank you for such pleasant conversation, Captain Withburn," Serenna said as she rose from her seat. "Good night."

Tanaya escorted the captain to the door. Poking her head out to see who was on guard duty and spying Delgado at attention beside the door, she excused herself, stepped out, and closed the door. She watched the captain retreat through a hatch and made sure they were alone in the passage.

"At ease, Delgado. What are your impressions of the captain, now that you've seen her and heard her speak?"

"She wasn't born to the sea, commander. Sure, she's got the lingo down, but her accent could use a little improvement. Very, very close, though. She's a good actor," he said through his closed faceplate.

"That woman is very well-educated. She taught at the Sea & Harbors Foundation for three years. She has more accreditations than you or I will ever see in our lifetimes." Tanaya raised one elegant eyebrow in approval. "We're in capable hands. Good night."

When she entered the room, Serenna was fast asleep in bed.