Chapter 34

"What is it that you don't understand?" I asked clearing my throat. I was still scheming a plan on how I could make her confess.

"Whole Organic Chemistry. You know, bonds and all." She smiled sweetly, but as if my way of thinking had flipped one-eighty and I could see right through her smile.

I tried to smile too, but could not. I picked up the book and opened to the page marked as Organic Chemistry and shuddered. It was a nightmare to me too.

"I can't even make out the words." I tried to joke and laughed nervously.

"Really?" She raised an eyebrow. "I thought you're so intelligent, or is it just Ethan?" Her jab was not mistaken.

I finally put down the book and looked into her eyes. "I don't know how intelligent I am, but now, I can see through you."

"I don't know what you're talking about." She said so casually that it felt fake.

"You know exactly what you did. The doctor confessed himself. I've got this on tape and the police officers that you hired turned out to be fake too." I lied, yeah I lied about the doctor. Dri did not have to know about all of the truth.

Her expression changed as soon as she heard those words. "What do you mean?"

"You know exactly what I mean." I voiced those words as sternly as I could.

"No, I didn't hi-"

"Stop it! Stop lying. There's no going back." I stood up. "I know what you did, but the question is 'why'. Why would you play such a dirty trick on Aiden?"

She stood up. Angry tears filled up her eyes. "Because I love him! I want him back, but no matter how much I tried, he didn't respond and I know he loves me too."

My heart clenched. I almost said, 'No, he loves me', but I was not sure myself.

"If you're so sure, then why did you have to put up an act, a whole accident drama in front of him?"

"Don't you see it?" Her tears rolled down her face and I had to bit back the comforting words that was on the tip of my tongue. "You're always with him. He's this obsession with you and I get it. Okay? He likes you, you like him, but I love him." She sat down heavily on the chair.

I was pondering what to say and finally voiced the question that had been wondering around in my head. "How did you did all these? Is there anyone else in this plan?"

She looked up at me and shook her head, sniffling. "As you've said I hired the police officers first, they're struggling actors. Then, I talked to the doctor, he is our family doctor too. When I offered him enough money, it came out as perfectly as I had expected. Aiden is starting to get closer to me again. I can feel it."

"You just told me your plan so easily. Aren't you afraid that I would tell him this and ruin everything for you two?"

The thought in itself was so evil, so selfish. She looked at me wide eyed.

"You wouldn't. You would've told him if wanted to."

I was getting tired of this conversation already. "You know, why I haven't told Aiden already even if we got all the evidence we need?" She looked at me through her tear soaked eyelids. "I want you to tell him yourself."

She looked at me, bewildered. "What, why?" She asked as I picked up my bag.

"Because, no matter what, he loves you as a friend."

"You're lying!" She cried out.

I hated watching her cry. I sighed deeply and started for the door. "Tell Aiden by the end of the day or I won't care about your feelings either as you didn't with Aiden's."