Chapter 16

Enid's POV

When we reached the clinic, it was already half past ten on the white wall clock. I said my name and the receptionist told us to wait, there were two more to go before it was my number. The waiting room was fairly clean, polished, so white that could hurt your eyes and very silent.

I was going to told Aiden that it was unnecessary and we should just get out of here, grab the ice cream he promised, but his phone started ringing.

He pulled out his phone and giving it a glace, he looked at me as if he was afraid.

"What?" I asked.

"It's Dri." His phone's shrill ringtone was very annoying in the quiet waiting area.

"Go, take it outside." I told him.

He got up and walked away. I kept watching his back absent mindedly, but he did not seem to realize as he picked up the phone and talked into it.

"Enid Grey." The receptionist called and standing up, I walked into the room, but not before looking at him once to tell him I was going in, which was a futile.

"Enid, I must say, you were the last person I thought I would see with a broken nose." Dr. Rubyn said as soon as I came through the door.

"It's not broken." I told him rolling my eyes.

"But, Aiden said that..." Then he stopped and something crossed his face. "Ah, I get it. Over protective." And shook his head. "Okay, let's get you check up."

He got out of his chair as he said it and came to the chair beside mine.

"Look up." He ordered. I tilted my head so he could examine it. He pinched the middle of my nose lightly and shook it once both sides. "Does it hurt?" I shook my head. "If it does not hurt, doesn't mean it's not broken. I'm gonna suggest a X-ray anyway. Just so we are all sure about it." He said and patted on my back once and went to his chair again behind the desk.

"I am prescribing a gel that would help you relief if you feel any pain. Okay?" I nodded my head. "How's your parents, Enid? And Ethan?"

"They are all great, Ethan too. In fact mom and dad are in town for a month." I said.

"Really?" He looked up and handed me the prescription. "I should go and meet them, then?"

"Yeah."

"Well then, when are you coming again?" The question startled me. Is he just joking with me?

"What? Why?"

"With the X-Ray report. I have to see it, you know."

"Oh, right. Sorry. Um... I'm not sure. We'll see." I stood up to leave when Dr. Rubyn spoke again.

"Be careful and come soon. I'm leaving the country for two weeks next week." I nodded my thanks to him and went out.

I looked around the waiting area hoping to find Aiden, bit he was not there. The next patient pushed past me hurriedly into the room. I thought he would be outside, so as I was heading for the door, the receptionist spoke up.

"Enid?" I looked at her. "Hey, your friend said he had to go, but he wanted you to wait for him." My heart thudded painfully.

"Yes, thank you." I said and sat down on one of the chairs to wait for Aiden. The piece of paper in my hand burned.

It was one and half hour later when the lunch came, Dr. Rubyn left hurriedly, maybe to his house or he was heading towards the hospital. I could feel the patience of the the receptionist wore off. She had to leave to have her lunch too.