JOURNEY

Peering down, pondering the sameness of cities around the world. Lacie Jae is under house arrest in a foreign country. Armed guards outside her hotel room guard her only way out. Lace whispers, "50 stories up, so no escape by the window." Going through her luggage, only taking what is necessary, the rest she leaves for whoever. She's ready, whispering, "Jesus." A bright flash of light, and she's gone. The room is empty.
      Lacie Jae pops into a dark alley. Regaining her balance and orienting herself to the environment she has appeared in. Standing in the trash and human excretion, she gags at the putrid stench around her. Concentrating on not throwing up, she hears a soft mewing sound. Tightening her hand over her nose and mouth, she moves trash around with her foot. Touching something soft and squishy. Squatting down using her right hand pushes the trash away. Gagging, she's unable to prevent it and turns her head to vomit.
      A newborn infant lays before her in filth. Wiping her mouth with the back of her hand reaches down, touching it. Its little body flinches, a silent cry escaping from the tiny mouth. Lacie Jae quickly removes her jacket. Gently wrapping the infant up, she stands to get her bearings.
      "Where am I? I don't know where I'm at, Jesus. Please help us!" Emerald, Lacie Jae's Angel, appears. " Oh, thank God, Emerald, you're here., I don't know what to do. Help this baby, please."
Wrapping them both in his arms, they disappear. Reappearing in a small room. "Lace, this is a small safe house our Lord has prepared. Please press the button on the wall and do as they say. You and the baby will be safe. I won't be far," Emerald says and disappears.
      Pressing the button on the wall, she hears a noise on the other side. Tightening her hold on the baby. She steps back, trying to be brave for this little one's sake. The door slides open an older man appears. Speaking a language, she is not familiar with. He beckons her to follow him. Hesitantly she follows him down a darkly lit hallway. A door is at the end. He opens it and steps in, again beckon her to come in. With his hands, he imitates laying the baby down. She does as he asks. Gently laying the bundle down, they begin to unwrap it. The baby is unresponsive to her touch, fearing it dead. The man gently lifting the baby moves it to a sink filled with warm water. Slowly lowering it into the water. The baby gasps from shock. Weak from lack of food, she silently cries. Swishing it slowly through the water to remove the dirt and filth stuck to its little body. Removing it from the dirty water, he wraps it in a warm towel.
      Tapping the baby's mouth, then his own to indicate hunger. Lacie Jae nods in understanding. He steps from the room, moving towards what looks like a small kitchen. Removing milk from a small refrigerator. He warms it up and, with a clean cloth, drips milk into the baby's mouth. Automatically swallowing the milk, the baby frantically turns its head searching for more. The man hands the baby back to Lacie Jae. Taking it firmly to herself, she begins to coo to the infant. The baby makes little whimpering sounds. She looks to the man for understanding, and he only shrugs. She takes the cloth to drip more milk into the baby's mouth. This was a prolonged process, but eventually, the baby seemed satisfied and fell asleep in her arms. Gently rocking, "What now, Lord? Where do we go from here? She prays. Why would someone throw this little one out like trash? " She wonders as it peacefully sleeps in her arms.
Emerald appears in front of Lacie Jae, causing her to jump. " You have got to stop doing that, Emerald! I don't know how many of those I can take."
     "My apologies, dear one. I sometimes forget that your not an angel," he chuckles.
     "That's not funny Emerald, I've heard that angels never forget anything."
      "This is true. I remember back before Lucifer exalted himself above the Lord and caused the great rebellion in heaven."
      "That is still painful for you."
      "Father loved Lucifer greatly. I hurt because He hurt from the loss. But dear, we must leave so not to cause danger to this dear servant of the Lord." Instantly he whisks them away.       Emerald, Lacie Jae, and the infant appear in a warm sunlit meadow. People are setting a picnic table. A woman stops to look around at the trio. As she turns, Lacie Jae cries out in recognition. 

       "Gram, oh my Grama." Running towards her, she runs into her embrace. The people stop what they're doing to happily welcome Lace to heaven.
      "Everyone, this is my Great Granddaughter, Lacie Jae. She's Sarah, my Granddaughter's daughter, and Lane's twin sister." Overjoyed to meet her finally, they crowd around excitedly. She was introduced to Gramps, her Great Grandfather that was married to her Gram. She met her Grandfathers parents. Great Aunts and Uncles, cousins from her Aunt L.T. and Uncle Cliff. She met generations of family from all nationalities. It was so wonderful to put names on some of the faces.
     Through all this, the baby never made a sound. A small whimper brought it to the attention of all. The excitement of a baby gave great joy for celebration.
     "Oh, may I hold the baby?" Gram said.
     "Yes, please, we found her in the trash in a back alley someplace."
Taking the baby in her arms, she unwraps her. " Oh my goodness, she is so tiny." She turns to the family and asks if they would mind setting the table. "Lace, may we lay her in the sunshine while the food is being set out?"
     " Yes, of course, I'm not sure what Jesus wants us to do with her."
     " Well, here He is," Gram said.
Lace turns to see her Lord coming towards her. "Oh, Lord," she rises from the grass into His loving arms.
     "Lacie Jae, I have been looking so forward to your arrival. Gram, would you mind watching the baby for a little while so I can visit with Lace?"
     " Oh, it would be our pleasure." Gram said.
Jesus guides Lace to a knoll not too far away. The beauty all around her takes her breath away.
     "It's more beautiful than I remember, Lord!"