Chapter 48

Greg was waiting for them when they returned to the clearing. He stood on top of their ship alongside Jerr. Both of them held a spotlight, anticipating their return.

"You made it back!" Greg exclaimed as he climbed down off the ship. Jerr climbed down behind him.

Arlo suggested keeping the citizens on the second floor and stationing soldiers on the bottom floor and on the roof.  

"That's understandable." Greg replied, "Are all the bodies cleared?" Greg was surprised that there were infected inside the warehouse.  

"Yes, sir. We moved them out into the woods. We found a ditch to roll them down into." Nadia said, pointing towards the wooded area to their left. 

"Good, then move everyone inside. Hopefully, they aren't too shook up. Take them in through the back way, so they don't have to see the blood." Greg ordered. 

Alona watched as the citizens slowly walked into the warehouse. She was surprised that they weren't excited about the snow or about being on the surface. The hardest part about moving this group of people, Alona thought, was that they carried fear and anger with them. She tried smiling at a young boy and his mom, but the mom scowled at her and yanked him close. 

Alona's heart ached, the citizens behaved like prisoners. They had already left this world behind once, and now they were back. She took a deep breath, it seemed they couldn't win. 

----

Every cot was filled inside the warehouse. Alona was surprised at how quiet everyone was. Greg and Jerr were passing out blankets while a few soldiers retrieved food from the ships. They were melting snow over a small fire to have water.

Alona didn't know if they would stay here or move again. The warehouse was big, but not big enough for them to settle here.  

Greg walked over to where Alona and Arlo stood. 

"Everyone is on edge." He sighed. It was clear that he was a nervous wreck, "They're scared." 

Alona scanned the room, it was clear the citizens were scared. Cuddled in their cots, they whispered amongst each other. 

"Drew would know how to calm them." He whispered to himself.

"Don't show them you're worried." Arlo said, "When did you ever see Drew scared?"

Greg slowly brought his eyes to Arlo's, "Never." He replied softly. 

"Exactly." Arlo's arms were crossed over his chest, "We should move somewhere warmer. Preferably near fresh water, and away from any cities. We don't know if there are any functioning governments or militias out there."

Greg nodded, looking around the room "I agree. We can't stay here." 

The question that was on everyone's mind now was: Where would they go? 

Faced with fear, Alona still felt a small hint of hope. She knew life would be better on the surface, it had to be. Although she hated not knowing what was out there. She craved security. The world she knew was gone, this world was new and complicated. 

She knew life would be better on the surface, it had to be. They would no longer live in the muddy darkness. Soon, the sun would rise and they would awake to a new world.  

----

Alona awoke to people shouting. She jumped up, suddenly alert. Arlo sat next to her in the corner where they had been dozing off all night. He was already awake and alert. Hearing the commotion, he pulled his rifle into his shoulder.

People were shouting and pointing to something in the distance outside a busted window.

Alona walked closer to them, searching for the source of the disturbance. She feared that a massive horde would find them or that vicious scavengers would raid, steal, and murder them when they least expected it.

Then, she saw it. In the distance, there was a soft orange glow outside the window that was beginning to spread.

Alona gasped, realizing what was happening. She ran towards the ladder and began climbing as fast as she could onto the roof.

"What are you doing?" Arlo yelled from across the room. The citizens were gathering around the window as she quickly climbed. 

Once on the roof, she ran to the ledge, her heart racing. Over the trees, she watched, as the sky turned soft blue then fiery orange. 

She heard someone walk up behind her. Her eyes were glued to the sky.

It had been so long since she had seen or even felt the sun.

The people around her hadn't seen the sun in years, she couldn't imagine what this moment would be like for them.

A hand found hers. She glanced over even though she knew it was Arlo's. He smiled softly, his golden eyes shimmered in the sun's brilliance. 

The sun painted the sky beautifully; deep red and hot pink outlined the clouds, burning yellow and orange streaked across the sky. Alona couldn't remember a more beautiful sunrise. As the sun rose slowly into the sky, Alona closed her eyes letting the sun's rays pierce her body and into her bones, warming her at her core. She felt so warm. Her tender, pale skin stung as she embraced the heat. 

On the floor below them, she could hear the citizens cheering and crying out. Tears gathered in her eyes. 

This was their new beginning...

----

Thank you for reading.

<3, Sawyer