Chapter 42

Alona was taking deep breaths as they flew through the air. It was happening. She couldn't think. She wasn't ready. 

Her life had been a series of moments that she wasn't ready for. 

She looked at her hands, they shook as they lay in her lap. She gripped her knees, hoping no one saw.

Arlo, who was sitting next to her, reached his hand over and placed his hand on hers. She looked up at him. His eyes were soft, in moments like this, he always surprised her. 

She could see in his eyes that he loved her too. She didn't need his words, she had that look in his eyes. It was undeniable.

He pulled back his hand and gripped the straps over his chest, preparing to unbuckle.

They had arrived. They hovered silently around the castle tower.

The light overhead blinked a slow red. The rear hatch lowered. Outside the ship, Alona could see the glass reflecting the lights inside the hull.

Alona's heart was pounding like never before. 

The blinking red light turned green. Arlo unbuckled his straps, then glanced at Alona. It was time. She struggled to unlatch herself, but eventually, she was able to unhook it. 

The rest of the crew unbuckled and grabbed their weapons. Alona followed their lead, her heart beating uncontrollably. 

The ship hovered above the castle, next to a giant window. Vlad and Kodi stepped up to the lowered latch, they both held a grappling hook gun. Aiming in between the windows, they fired their guns, launching two wire cables into the side of the building. Kodi turned around and nodded. The cables were attached to the ceiling of the ship.

Alona watched as Nik and Feliks clipped their harnesses onto the zip lines. Feliks counted down, then they jumped. At the last moment, Nik fired a laser gun into the window, causing the glass to shatter right in front of them. 

Alona had never ziplined before, she always thought it would've been a fun experience; zip lining across a canyon, a river, or through a dense jungle. She swallowed as she watched her team members fly through the air and into the giant building. 

They were last. Alona clipped her harness onto the thick cord. 

"Pull this strap when I tell you." Arlo yelled over the wind whipping through the ship, as he pointed to a strap with a red band. 

She nodded in response.

"You're clear." The co-pilot yelled.

Alona stepped to the edge, looking down, she couldn't see the ground only darkness.

"Alona I-" Arlo said, stopping short.

She looked back up, seeing his expression she replied, "I know." She said smiling. She already knew he loved her.

He looked down for a brief second, then held up three fingers. As he counted down, Alona tried to slow her breathing.

"Let's go!" He yelled, jumping from the ship.

Alona followed. She squinted as the air blew past her face. She was immediately happy Pasha had braided her hair, if she hadn't Alona's hair would've been blown all over the place. 

"Now!" Arlo yelled, pulling his strap at the last moment.

Alona pulled her strap, sending her free falling inside the broken window. She rolled as she landed, hoping she didn't break anything, including her gun. 

Inside the room, Nik and Feliks were gone. Nadia and Vlad stood at the door. Vadik was looking out the window, making sure they weren't spotted. 

Pasha checked on Alona, "You okay?" She asked, helping her up.