Chapter 35

After Arlo had finished telling everyone what to do and how to do it, he sent Vadik and Pasha out to pick up some food. Alona could tell by the way Pasha clung to Vadik's arm that they were a couple. 

Arlo walked up to Alona and pulled her into the kitchen where no one was, "Nik and Feliks have to stay here."

"Didn't Drew give them all places to stay?" She asked confused.

"Yes, at the end of the meeting which Nik and Feliks weren't there for." He sighed.

"I see." She replied. "Well, you've stayed in my room before."

He smirked, "I just wanted to make sure them staying was okay with you."

"I have you to protect me in case they get hungry later." She joked. 

He smiled back at her.

They joined the others in the living room as Hank was questioning Greg on his job working under Drew.

"But does he make you do stuff like get him drinks or change the trash?" Hank asked.

Greg laughed, "No, the janitor changes the trash and his secretary gets him his beverages. I take notes at meetings, I suggest moves, and stuff like that."

Hank nodded slowly as if the question had truly concerned him. 

Nik and Feliks had brought the bar stools from the kitchen into the living room so they would have a place to sit. They still watched Alona's every move whenever she was near them. 

Alona sat down beside Nadia, who was twirling the tip of her knife in her boot heel, making a small crater in the rubber.

Nadia glanced at Alona as she sat down. Arlo rested on the arm of the couch on Alona's side.

"So how did you two meet?" Kodi asked smiling at Alona and nodding towards Arlo. His long hair swayed when he nodded his head.

"Arlo saved me." Alona stated. She really didn't want to tell the details of this story, especially in front of people who saw her as weak.

He seemed even more intrigued now, "Really? From who?"

She glanced at Arlo, "The last king, king Noshi, or whatever his name was."

Kodi's smile faded slightly, "I see." She hoped he realized that it was an uncomfortable subject that she would not like to talk about.

Hank had been staring at her as soon as she had spoken. "What happened to your shoulder?" He asked.

She turned her attention to him, "I was shot, out in the Wastelands." Her eyebrows furrowed together, she wondered how he had known she was hurt. She hadn't said anything and she had made no movements that would have given it away that she was hurt.

"How'd it feel?" Feliks asked from the bar stool.

She stared at him for a moment, "It hurt like hell."

He laughed, "I've been stabbed, blown up, stomped, cut open, and gutted, but never shot."

She didn't respond. He was such an odd person. She wondered if he was trying to intimidate her.

"Gutted?" Greg asked, in shock.

He lifted his shirt to reveal a series of long scars across his stomach and chest.

Nadia groaned, "Please put that away."

It was the first time Alona had heard her speak. Alona agreed with her silently.

Feliks let go of his shirt, it fell back into place. Nik nudged his shoulder, confirming that Nik thought it was cool. Alona noticed how strange their friendship was; they seemed to understand a depth to each other that no one else did.